Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting my plow going part 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndaircapt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Heres some pictures of my plow I pulled out of the snowbank today. I started the thread last week on scouring plow bottoms.

Its a John Deere 44. It says "No. 16 Frame" on the front. Its clutch lift.

What do you think of my shares and landsides? will they work? I know the hitch is set wrong, will get back to that.

Will it scour?

ndaircapt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you tell the difference between a 44 A and 44 B?

Last edited by ndaircapt on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
ndaircapt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My questions are:

1. where can I get a reproduction or original operators manual for it besides Deere? any good websites?

2. Do you see any parts missing?

3. Do you think the shares are sufficient to plow 2-3 acres a year? If I get new shares, what am I looking for?

4. See any reason this plow wont work?

5. The tailwheel is a 4.80 - 12. Is it going to be tough to get one? Its flat. How does it come off?

6. Any way of telling what year it is? couldnt find a stamp anywhere yet

super99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tire is the same as a small trailer tire, it will work for what you want to do.
Do you have a 4" hand grinder? I use a flap disc wheel on mine to clean the rust off,(wear a dust mask!!!) get it as shiny as you can, and then grease or paint the shares and bottoms to keep them from rusting. Soak all moving parts excessively until they free up. Chris

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shares and landsides look good should last you a long time only doing a few acres. Spent a lot of time pulling one of those around the fields around here - only ours had a hydraulic lift. Properly adjusted, they were a fine plow.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have GIVEN these Instructions several times and NOT ONE of you have paid any attention....

Get that 4" (or 4 1/2") Angle Grinder out (AND a good dust Mask)...
Get some of the Thin "Cut-Off wheels"..you will need about 2 for each plow bottom...
HOLD the Cut-off wheel at a low angle..about 30 degrees to the steel surface..
It WILL NOT gouge or even Scratch the steel surface, but will remove the Rust right down to the Black Oxide Under the Rust (and THAT WILL scour nicely)...
NOW, you could go back over with a "Flapper Wheel, but you really will NOT need to..

NOW..IF you Listened, you will save many hours of Work and BE Ready to Plow...
TRY IT...

"NUFF Said..
Ron..

ndaircapt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have some PB blaster I really like I am going to take after all the fastners once I get it in the shop in case I need to take something apart. planning on "pre scouring" the moldboards too before I try it this spring. trying to prevent a repeat of the dismal try from 3 years ago, hitch miss adjusted, didnt scour, tailwheel trying to jump out of the furrow to the unplowed side.....

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes it is hard to tell just how much "suck" is left in a used set of Shares..

I like to make new Landslides and leave them about 5" longer than the original on the Front and as long as is room on the rear bottom..
Helps make the slice turn over better and keeps the plow from crowding to the Left in damper ground..(keeps the furrow straighter)..

Ron..

ndaircapt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There will be a "pre-scour" cleaning done this winter using combinations of the techniques I got from this post and from the thread a week ago. Thanks Bushhog P.

ndaircapt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have a part # for the shares I might need? I havent looked too much "down low" to see what shape my bolts are in. Will look closer when I get it in the shop this weekend.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No numbers, here..but your shares appear OK..but a picture can be deceiving..some shares were designed to have a greater amount of Suck than others...
I have seen a JD 2 Bottom plow go from "going in good", to "won't go in at all" in just a couple of rounds..
Could be the conditions were getting Dryer maybe it was the shares.
Some just change over to "High Speed Bottoms", so they can use "Throw-Away" shares..that are much cheaper and easier to find..

Ron..

ndaircapt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good to know.... I read somewhere that high speed bottoms takes a whole different frog?

Brian Dan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wate till spring and find an old gravel pit.
plow a couple hundred feet and your plow will be clean. My dad did that all the time back in the day.

ndaircapt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats what appears to be on it right now is a "trailer tire" 4.80 - 12 an Armstrong? Is that tubeless? Does those four bolts just come out and to get off the hub?

Greg K
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my plow going part 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where do you find the tires for that plow?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.