Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1566 ih

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethan Chamberlain
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello
I'm looking at a 1566, and was about ready to buy it until we tried to start it and nothing at all happened. We cracked fuel lines at the head, and have fuel there. We can get it to turn over with the starter by jumping the terminals with a screwdriver, but it won't fire or even smoke. We even tried helping it with some ether, but it still didn't fire. I had new battery's in it, so it shouldn't be a cranking speed problem. I'm out of ideas. What do you guys think?

Ethan Chamberlain
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can turn the key and get power to the gauges, but the pushbutton is gone, so that is why I have to jump terminals with a screwdriver.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would walk away. Hal

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How cold was it where you were starting it?

Ethan Chamberlain
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was somewhere around the 34 degree mark.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It should've fired easily at 34 degrees.

Those IH 400-series engines are good cold starters if everything is working even close to right.

The 1066 only ever got started during the winter to run the generator or go on "rescue missions" when the spreader tractor got stuck. That tractor would always fire up even down into single-digit temperatures, with nothing more than a quick puff of ether, if that.

Unless you can get the tractor for scrap price plus the value of the tires if they're any good, walk away.

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ethan, Always look for the obvious first, know it sounds dumb, but make sure the throttle is correctly set so it is not in the Kill position. could be that is is hung up there.
If you are spinning the engine smartly, throttle is not in the Kill position and not getting some smoke there are probable Injection pump problems. Have the man adjust the price accordingly, or walk away.
Hope this helps
Later,
John A.

Ethan Chamberlain
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Her price was 3000. How does that sound?

MN Scott
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know how familiar you are with IH tractors but the 66 series tractors have a safety switch on the clutch. You have to have the clutch fully depressed for the starter to engage.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If no smoke,the throttle is in the 'stop' position;the thing was run out of fuel;the fuel system has lost prime(could be bad) ;the pump is shot(worse);The fuel filters are plugged,or frozen.Block of ice in the tank plugging the suction.These things are something to look at.....

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would agree but it still should have fired/smoked a bit with the ether.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you have the throttle wide open?

How did the air filter look?

kennell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd buy it in a flash if the tires hold air and the tractirs complete. Kent

Ethan Chamberlain
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I pulled the air cleaner out it was plugged off with silt. Even when I pulled both air cleaners out it still would not do anything. I had the throttle about half open.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1566 ih Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pump advances when you open the throttle, they start way better full open. I learned that JD's are the opposite, they advance til it gets oil pressure, and giving it any throttle you lose the advance and they start like crp.

But it should have fired off with the ether, if you shot it in with the air filters out.

If there was dirt in the housing around the air filters, it could be the engine is damaged.

You are getting good flow out of the fuel tank?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.