Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

White 588 plow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pd143

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: White 588 plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm looking at a 5-18 auto reset plow. excellent condition, very reasonable price. I can only pull 4 bottoms. The rear bottom cannot be taken off to make it a 4, one solid main beam. The first bottom could be dropped, and the main pivot beam, along with the 2 point hitch, adjusted to correctly position the dead furrow with the main tire. My question is can the plow be adjusted to pull and trail correctly in this configuration? My inclination is no, but others may have more experience. thanks

oliver fan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: White 588 plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You didn't say what model of tractor you are going to pull it with, but it sounds like you don't have enough hydraulic to pick it up, let alone pull it. The White 588 plow is a heavy duty model that was used for serious plowing.

You would be better off finding a Oliver/White 565, 566, 575, 546, 508, 548 or a 549.

pd143

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: White 588 plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 2-85 in good condition, my brother has a 2-105. I would assume the 2-105 would pull it?

strommer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: White 588 plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pulled a 508 5/18 white plow with a 2-85, 2nd gear direct in old alfalfa sod, that 2-85 had the best draft control of any tractor I ever owned

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: White 588 plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will probebly pull it but you won't set the world on fire, it would be better to have a 2-135 or 2-155 on it. Lets just say you'll know its back there

evilboweviel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: White 588 plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bout 10 years ago saw a guy with a 1600 and a 4 bottm plow with the front bottom removed to make a 3 bottom, seemed to do a nice job plowing straight not certain what it would be like to plow around corners, curves etc.
also why not remove the back bottom and cut the beam shorter and remount the tail wheel?

good luck

TJV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: White 588 plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i am not familiar with that exact plow but i have seem some where they remove the rear bottom and move the tail wheel assembly forward leaving the beam stick out past the wheel. it might catch the fence along the outside swath with the beam sticking out but that way you could add the bottom if you get a bigger tractor. it does not work on all plows to do it this way depending on how the tail wheel/lift assembly attaches.

oliver1850T
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: White 588 plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

588 is heavy- depending on what your soil is like you may be alright. We pull 588 6 bottom in furrow with 4430 Deere and just bought 7 bottom onland to pull with my 1850 4x4. Just remember rule of thumb- to do a correct job you should plow as deep as half the width of the bottom. Thats 9 inches. Id hook that five bottom to the 105 and give her hell. Use the hydraul shift for the hard spots.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: White 588 plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

don't know what you are going to put it on but I run my 5-20 588 on a 1570 Case and wouldn't want much less on it, if heavy cornstalks aren't an issue a 548 4-18 would be a nice plow if you want a 4 bottom

j meyer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: White 588 plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your close to SE Minnesota, we have a 4 bottom 588 in our shed we may let go, or maybe even trade for that 5 bottom if you get it. Your 2-105 would have a tough time with a 5 bottom version, a 4 would be much better. Email is open...

K Thompson

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: White 588 plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm in northeast Iowa around Decorah. I may be interested in the 4 bottom plow that you have. Shoot me an e-mail.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.