Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT Good age to run a log splitter?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My wife and I were talking about the proper age of our son to run a log splitter. Not by himself of course. I have found that splitting wood goes fastest with 2 guys. Usually my elderly dad stands there and works the valve on the splitter while I load and unload. The timing usually is such that as the splitting of one log/stoke of the cylinder takes place, I can pick up another log and load it once the cylinder starts to retract. With one person this really slows down the works. Problem now is my dads laid up and barly can walk and has to have knee surgery and is out for 6 weeks. I was thinking with the proper hearing protection safety glasses and training on the "do's and don'ts" a younger person (8 year old boy) could handle the valve operation. Thoughts?? Experiences? My wife thinks its too dangerous and would not keep him interested very long. She may be right?? I wouldnt want anyone hurt either.

Justin SE IOWA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bad things can happen to anyone at any age with running a log splitter. I have my 8 year old son run the valve on my splitter. I say go for it.

Paul Simmer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had my kids do it at around that age. Now that they are older, they speak somewhat fondly of being able to help. That being said, I made darn sure my hand wasn't between the wedge and the wood in case they weren't paying attention!

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Fred from MO,

The sense of self worth is proceless! He will be so happy and glade he can help. I'm sure you will guide him. Having the proper protection will drive the point of safety more then words.
Don't forget the gloves. GO ahead and make some fire wood. Be safe and go make life lasting memories............. they are priceless as well!
Guido.

dpendzic
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

depends on the child--some are good with mechanical things and some never have that knack. Had my grandson operate the valve at 6 years old and never had a mishap.Would worry more now if my son in law was operating the valve!!

Playing it safe....
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say only let him stack the wood, it only takes one time of an accident and it is permanant.

No way.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends. I've met 40 yr olds I wouldn't trust to operate a can opener.

GeneMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He should be old enough. I think my dad put me on a Super MTA Farmall at about 10.

Gene

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm usually working alone. I've found that having my trailer loaded with log sections ready to split, I can pull the splitter up next to the back of the trailer and not lose time going for another piece. The trailer also serves as a platform to keep large sections from falling back to the ground. As the trailer empties I use a garden hoe to pull/roll pieces within reach. It's also helpful to have a second trailer to toss the split pieces on rather than dropping them on the ground.

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Found a picture of splitter behind trailer as I was trying to describe.

Bobcatz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My son was 5 & very proud to help his father. Still have to watch closely!
Only you can be the judge, all kids are different, some more developed (listen well). Others even when full grown aren't capable!

Andy Moncman

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So the wife says the son is too young, grandpa too laid up, so what is she doing Saturday afternoon, SHOE SHOPPING. I don't think so if she wants heat in the house let her run the valve.

Paul Janke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say he should be old enough. When he starts, don"t go any faster than you would by yourself. When my sister whas 13, I was 10, and my brother was 8, we ran one end of the post peeler and Dad ran the other end. It was supposed to be a two man job. That peeler would cause OSHA to go berzerk. We never got hurt at all. We hated the noise, dust, wind, heat, cold, rain, sun,....... which we endured.

BobinSD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My seven year old daughter likes to help. The boy was pretty useful at around 8, and much more so now (at 14)--he can stack and enjoys moving the big ones. I split a pile w/out his help this fall and I got less than half as much done.

Make sure everybody wears hearing protection as mentioned, and keep a good eye on the kid. All kids aren"t the same at that age, and you know your kid better than we do, so you should make the call (yes, I would trust my 7 year old more than my 14 year old in many situations--the boys mind tends to drift and he seems to think he"s bulletproof).

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Good age to run a log splitter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Playing it safe.... wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:09:56 01/18/13) I would say only let him stack the wood, it only takes one time of an accident and it is permanant.

No way.

Hey Wile E, no offense, but if you want to reply use your name. I had my kids helping run the splitter at that age and have had no issues. Another year or two and good luck getting the kids to help.

I had more dangerous jobs as a kid then the kids do now.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.