Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O/T Made Sausage Today

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a few pictures of what we did today

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We made 55 pounds of sausage today, some went in to pork sausage and the rest into summer sausage. My cousin's granddaughter Amy had to try her turn at the sausage stuffer. It has a gear reduction on it so she lasted longer than I thought she would. That's me pulling Smoke House Guard Duty. Have to talk to Rossi Ruger and I before entering..LOL!! We all went in for a nice bowl of chile and snack afterwards.

Tom in TN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John B,

Congratulations on making the sausage, but I have to tell you that the part of your post that really thrilled my soul was to see your whole family making memories together.

There's way too little of that in today's society.

Thanks for the post - really nice.

Tom in TN

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great pics, that susage looks yummy!

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Tom, yes I have a lot of memories on butchering days at their house. We just make sausage there now since they have a small grinder. My one cousin is at the far end of the table and his wife in red and his grand daughter next to him and her dad standing behind her by the cabinets. They are from NY. Their mom is in the nursing home and she turns 90 on Saturday the 19th.
My mom is at the close end of the table and dad is across from her. They're both 84. Mom will be 85 on 3/22/13. This is one reason I made it there and took a lot of pictures.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the way, weres your right sneaker??

Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like good eatin'! Smile

rocko
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks great, We made some about 2 months ago after we butchered our pigs. Used about half pork, half beef mix with my buddy's special mix of spices. Turned out great. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours too. I'd really like to try making a dry sausage, like a salami or such that you can just cut and eat. You ever done a batch like that? Rocko.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John B,
Looks really good...and like a fun day.

I want to try some "hamburger jerky"... seasoning and smoke added to lean ground beef. Shape it in a roll and refrigerate overnight. Then baked in a slow/low oven. Neighbor lady used to make it and it was good. Hope I still have the recipe.

Davis SC

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How long does it take to smoke the big sausages?

OH Boy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That looks REALLY good. I used to make sausages, salamis, jerky etc. with my hunting buddies after we all got our deer. Havent done that for a few years now.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We smoke them for three days.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you get it made maybe we can do some trading.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was at home. I have a cast on my right foot.
Had foot surgery back on Sept 26th. Went back to work on Dec 11th and on Dec 31st went back to the doc for x-rays and it showed that one of the two long screws had broken. So in a cast now for 3 more weeks from today, 4 weeks total. Will probably go back to work the middle of Feb. if all looks good. You have a keen eye Jay...LOL.
For some reason I couldn't get that picture rightside up.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T Made Sausage Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few days ago, I took a pound of ground pork bought at a local grocery store and added a half teaspoon each of table salt, black pepper, garlic salt, onion salt, and ground mustard.

Mixed it good, then took gobs of it and rolled them between my palms to come out about the size and shape of hot dogs. Put them in an electric smoker at 160 degrees for 3 hours.

Turned out great, and the outside crusted almost like a skin.

What's frustrating to me is my wife of 47 years absolutely refuses to eat, or even try, anything I've cooked. Her father was the ultimate picky eater, and I guess a lot rubbed off onto her.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.