Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gas Line Anti Freeze

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete-IN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In really cold weather, I have always dumped a bottle of gas line anti freeze in my vehicle tank. It is mostly alcohol. With todays modern gas blends, it says at the pump they contain up to 10% alcohol. Am I wasting my effort? I have never had a frozen line on a vehicle.

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ethanol blended gas eliminates the need for gas line anti freeze.

Yup wasted effort and money.

Gary

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

different kind of alcohol, dont know it works the same way. Bill

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When it gets cold you see so many people dumping Heet into their gas tanks. Well when it's 0 degrees outside it's too late to pour it in. If there is water in the tank it needs to be tended to before the cold season arrives. Take some water and mix some heet additive with it. Shake it up then let it set and see what happens. It may surprise you!

Wayne in MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No need for any extra alcohol in the gasoline. 10% from the pump is quite sufficient to handle any water problems.
I have not used a gasoline drier product for 30+ years since Ethanol blended fuels came out.
PS: I live in West-Central Minnesota lake country.

Lamar Fudd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John B. wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:57:00 01/19/13) When it gets cold you see so many people dumping Heet into their gas tanks. Well when it's 0 degrees outside it's too late to pour it in. If there is water in the tank it needs to be tended to before the cold season arrives. Take some water and mix some heet additive with it. Shake it up then let it set and see what happens. It may surprise you!

IF you have a frozen gas line, that can of HEETŪ will travel to where the frozen area is, as it's heavier than gasoline, and dissolve the ice blockage. Hasn,t been necessary since 10% fuel came out.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With the 10% blend you wont have any problems.

JOCCO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

two thoughts here: if you have that much water in the tank it needs to be tended to anyway (disassembel and clean)!!! 2. lots of this stuff is like engine rebuilder in a can (snake oil)

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, we haven't used it in 30+ years, had some bottles on the shelf that evaporated without ever being opened!

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes.

Brad

Glen SW Wi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was a sales rep for Sinclair Oil we used to call all those little cans on the shelf "Mouse Milk". The dealers liked it though because the profit margin was quite high.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to put in two bottles per year, and believed that I no longer needed it. A few weeks ago one cold evening, my wife's car started to miss occasionally. We stopped at a store, and I got a bottle and dumped it in and it has been good since. Could it be it just needed a five minute break.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

biggest thing is to keep your tank full of fuel, not on the empty side. ya i know what some will say , thats hard to do. its big temperature changes that produce condensation.
just like when it warms up outside you can see your fluid level in your tractor tires.
i have never once has a gas line freeze up, and do not use the stuff.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only kind of alcohol to add to any fuel system, in particular any fuel system with any type of injection. Is IPA, isopropyl alcohol which is the least metal and plastic aggressive.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Line Anti Freeze Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What problem are you trying to solve? The purpose of gas line antifreeze is to disperse water in fuel, but if you buy your gas from a reputable dealer and keep the gas cap closed, you shouldn't get water in your fuel.

A lot of people used to put gas line antifreeze in their fuel in the mistaken belief it would prevent carburetor icing. It won't, because carb ice is caused by water in the air freezing in the venturi, and gas line antifreeze will never prevent that. Carb ice is a thing of the past now, of course.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.