Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hydraulic ram IDENTIFY Pics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocko
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Hydraulic ram IDENTIFY Pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wondering if someone can tell me the manufacturer of this set up or if you all figure its a home made job. It's on a 68 Ford Cab Over Grain Truck. Rams are welded into resivior tank and that is where the piviot point is located.

Roy Suomi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic ram IDENTIFY Pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been to 2 county fairs and a heiffer breeding, but I've never seen anything like this before...R.S.

Wheat Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic ram IDENTIFY Pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 74 F600, and will take a photo today. I think mine looks a little different.

Rwolfejr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic ram IDENTIFY Pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't say who built the unit but it's a really nice set-up you've got there. If you're having issues it really won't matter who's unit it is. A good hydraulic repair shop can rebuild or replace seals etc. regardless.

We use... Mac's Hydraulic Jack & Equipment Service Inc Street: 121 Putnam Street Pittsburgh, pa 15206-4135 Phone: (412) 361-1555
They are very reasonable and can make up seals or rings and stock material for rods if they're too rough.

Only thing I might consider doing different with that rig is to put a non-fluid transfering support between the two cylinders up at the rod end and then put a fitting and a hose between the two for equalizing the rod end feed. That way there'd be some give on the fluid line and less chance of cracking?

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic ram IDENTIFY Pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never seen a set up like that.

Glad to see you have supports in place as a safety practice.

Looks like the ram on the driver's side is bent too. Don't know if you noticed that.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic ram IDENTIFY Pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting observation. The stringer seems bent at that location as well, but it may be a camera artifact. The boards of the deck seem to be uniform in relationship to the stringer, making me wonder if it is just the imaging error.
The second photo has some distortion in the driver's side frame rail which does not appear in the top photo! Interesting. Jim

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic ram IDENTIFY Pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Highly doubt it's home made. It's not uncommon to have the cylinders act as part of the hydraulic tank. The hoist on my truck has a small reservoir and uses the cylinders for extra oil capacity but the reservoir is separate from the cylinders.

Wheat Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic ram IDENTIFY Pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine is a Harsh lift. Unable to get the one photo rotated in this reply.

rocko
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic ram IDENTIFY Pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, Yes that is why I am trying to figure out where this set up originated. Load was to heavy and when I went to dump the twin ram set up slipped of the drivers side pivot pin (you can see it in the 2nd pic) Actually pushed the dump box frame out widening it from where it should be. Need to improve on how box frame is fastened to truck frame (Is now attach with U-Clamps attaching the 2 frames to each other) but when it slipped out also bent the drivers side rod so that is another repair. Talked to Hydraulics shop and they figure they will most likely have to have a rod machined. $$$. Thanks Rocko.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.