Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheel bearing assembly removal on 2001 2500

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broken dodge

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Wheel bearing assembly removal on 2001 2500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm trying to get this thing off! I've tried hitting the bolts with a socket on them, then got mad and hit the bolts directly after ruining a socket(only to ruin 2 bolts) and nothing. Can't get it to budge. All 4 bolts on the backside are loose and free, the big main nut came right off, the caliper is off. I've changed one of these before and all I had to do was smack the bolts and it popped out enough to get a chisel behind it. Any ideas? Do I need to pour the heat to it?

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing assembly removal on 2001 2500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya must be working on a Dodge ?? When i bought my 95 it was just two year old and the ft. axle U/joints were toast . I spent 3 1/2 hours with a one inch brass drift and a four pound hammer and a can of Zep . beating on it . Fixed the right side and moved to the left and gave up on the four pounder and went to the sledge as some dummy came in and asked if he could give me a hand . So with him holding the drift i was able to lay into it and that one only took and hour . When i put everything back together it was all cleaned up and NEVER SEIZED a few years later i had to get back into it to do the ball joints and wheel bearings ( dumbest design ever ) and guess what it was all froze up and it was back to beating . One guy said all ya had to do is use a scoket and extension and place it so that you just used the power steering to PUSH the bearing out , YEa right that did not work . BUT A 10 pound sledge and a one inch brass drift on the bolts will if you can find some dummy to hold while you swing .

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing assembly removal on 2001 2500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't heat it. Either hit the flange or use a small chisel under the bearing mounting hole as a "wedge" and rotate locations until it walks out. Using the old bolts can work, but they need to be threaded almost all the way in and you would need to use an air chisel gun with a punch so you don't mash the head. You can either go to the dealer to get new one's or I go to a local salvage yard and find a Dodge with them in. Don't just put any bolt in that fits. Gerard

D1206
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing assembly removal on 2001 2500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did the wheel bearing on my 2001 2500 couple years ago.Removed it using the socket and power steering method and it worked good......

Broken dodge

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing assembly removal on 2001 2500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got it. A smashed finger, 2 destroyed bolts, and a destroyed dust shield, but its off. Ended up grinding down a chisel to a razor sharp point, and finally got somewhere.

caseyc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing assembly removal on 2001 2500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know it's too late but this will be for next time. Take the proper socket for the bolt and add a extension for a total length of 3-4 inches. Thread the bolts in about half way. Put the socket with extension on the bolt head, start the truck up and SLOWLY turn the steering wheel pressing the end of the extension on the axle tube. Work back and forth, switching which bolt your pressing on, basically pressing the hub out. Works every time.

Casey in SD

Brian Jasper co. Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing assembly removal on 2001 2500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

+1 on Casey's method. Pounding on the bearing or studs just makes for more work. Using the leverage of the P/S pushes them out very quickly and easily.

randyc1983
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing assembly removal on 2001 2500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had that trouble on mine once. Went and bought some long bolts that threaded in. Got the sledge out and smacked those bolts and it popped loose. The longer bolts sure made it easier.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.