Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1941 model b- information-help-advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
warren woodrow

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: 1941 model b- information-help-advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I acquired [free] a few years back and am just getting into it. It sat ouside for years of course and is in poor shape . Got head off today and one cylinder looked good and one rusted badly. Question-Is it a sleeved engine and if not could one be bored and sleeved . Also , How does steering shaft come out ? I am trying to get hood off and I removed the end cover from steering gear but not sure what I have to do to pull the steering out so I can remove hood.

mike in new mexico
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1941 model b- information-help-advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello-to remove the steering shaft first, pull the steering wheel off the end of the shaft. Next, remove the key that is underneath the steering wheel. Assuming that you have the crown off, remove the two bolts holding the bearing race off the front of the steering bolster. Dont damage the bearings as they can be costly. Finally, unscrew the steering shaft and worm gear off the front. The shaft comes out from the front. You might have to loosen the jam nut off the back of the bolster. As far as sleeving the engine, it dousn't have sleeves. You can take the block in to a machine shop and have it sleeved but that can become very expensive or if possible, have it bored out and just put oversized pistons and rings in it.

I hope this can help-Mike

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1941 model b- information-help-advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a look at the photos below to remove the steering shaft with worm.

You have already removed the medallion.

photo IMG_2828.jpg

Remove the steering wheel.

photo IMG_2830.jpg

photo IMG_2829.jpg

Remove the two cap screws securing the housing assembly to the pedestal.

photo IMG_2827.jpg

Remove the housing assembly and catch the oil and bearing.

photo IMG_2826.jpg

Twist and pull on the steering shaft until it can be removed from the pedestal.

photo IMG_2824.jpg

photo IMG_2823.jpg

It may be necessary to hammer on the end of the steering shaft in order to remove it from the steering support.

If this is done, replace the steering wheel nut and drive against it with a rubber hammer.

Hope this helps.

warren woodrow

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1941 model b- information-help-advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for help. I had removed housing cover and was stumped.

gtx1967jewison
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1941 model b- information-help-advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It can be bored at least 125 thousandths. Thats 1/8". I believe you can go farther than that on that block, ask josh Blackburn or Ray @extreme Tractor parts. It can be sleeved also.

warren woodrow

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1941 model b- information-help-advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. Gonna weigh cost of sleeving back to standard bore versus oversize and having to buy new pistons. One cylinder MIGHT be okay. The other is rusted badly.

jd b puller
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1941 model b- information-help-advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

warren woodrow wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:09:23 01/20/13) I acquired [free] a few years back and am just getting into it. It sat ouside for years of course and is in poor shape . Got head off today and one cylinder looked good and one rusted badly. Question-Is it a sleeved engine and if not could one be bored and sleeved . Also , How does steering shaft come out ? I am trying to get hood off and I removed the end cover from steering gear but not sure what I have to do to pull the steering out so I can remove hood.

Sleeves are cast in block. Normally safe to bore 250 over if needed. Can just bore to late B specs and buy pistons for late B off of this site.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.