Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First tractor recommendations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B kram
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,

I wanted to get some input from the site on opinions as to what woul dbe a better biginner tractor. I have been into tractors for a great while but have never owned one. I looking at one for a new hobby. I really like the late 30"s model JD"s such as the Model A and B"s. I have found both styles for sale but really want input on what would be best and why or are they pretty much the same except for overall size and engine size. I appreciate all the feed backk.

Brandon

jturbo10
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is your requirement for the tractor? Farm work, parades, antiques shows, etc. Do you have a trailer or truck to haul it? Once you decide what you will do with this tractor then we can give you some recommendations. You can't go wrong with a B or A but you also have to decide price and features like electric start, lights, pto features like "live PTO", power steering, wide front end, etc. The numbered series have a lot more ergonomic features but are still considered an antique two cylinder so you might consider something like a 520 or 630. Put some more thought into your needs and then repost to get better answers.

Loosehandle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would get a s/n 201000 and up B, much more usefull than the earlier models and less likely the driveing disc is loose on the crankshaft. Get one that runs and has good tires!

B kram
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jturbo10,

Looking to use for a hobby and just do parades and antiue shows. I do have a truck and a trailer to haul it. I have always like dthe A and B's, the hand crank models I find really interssting and fascinating. I dont need headlights, PTO's, power sterring and such. Just the basic hand crank style would be fine. Im pretty mechanically inclined so as long as it was complete, Im sure I can get it to run.

What are some things to look at for an old JD A or B that has been sitting. I have found a few that have been sitting in sheds with engine sthat crank and are not frozen just have not been started in quite some time. What is a fair price for complete but not frozen?

FBH44
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I iwsh you would do, or one of you JD men, is go to Branson MO and buy that nice JD "B" that"s sitting out in the weather for many years, at the toy museum on the strip. I see it slowly going downhill over the years, needs to have a nice home, don"t have any idea if they would part with it.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Late model, early 50s B. Go with what the others say on good tires. New tires will cost you more than the tractor.

55deere70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree, tires are a big expense and have to be figured in the purchase price. An A or a B would be a great tractor to start with. I started with a 49 B.

NoDakInMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would part company with many here and since you expressed a fondness for the hand cranks, I would go with an early A hand crank. I grew up on farm and when I was small we had a late model A with electric start, a mag pump and a loader for a WD Allis that my Dad modified for the A. Along with that we had a R and an 830. These were the tractors of my youngest days and although the R and the 830 went to trade on a D21 Allis in the mid 60s we kept the A until the early 70's.

In 1987 I decided I needed a tractor of my ownest own and bought a 1938 unstyled A at an auction. The rear tires were mismatched, the pto shaft was broken off, she shot flame out the left side of the exhaust manifold due a leaking gasket and worn mating surfaces but I bought for $250 and feel deeply, hopelessly in love with her.

Having little experience with old JDs outside of youthful memories, I had no experience with handstarters or with the idea of all fuel. But she would start with a minimum of effort and I can't tell you how much enjoyment I got out of playing and learning with her. Although I now own several tractors, the old A is still pretty much as she was when I bought her. I think about fixing her up, but I still kind of like her as she is for what she represnts to me and for the fact she is still in her working clothes.

Technically, every one is correct when they say that you should make sure you get one with good rubber, good tin, mechanically sound and with all the options like hydraulics, lights and so on and if you can do that at a reasonable price, by all means do so. But there is a lot to be said for getting a running ugly duckling like I did. Learning the tricks of hand starting, making small repairs and just playing with it will give you a vast amount of pleasure. Your first tractor should be a love affair as mine was and you will never regret it.

Last edited by NoDakInMN on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Once you decide on the model I would buy the best model available to you and go from there.As mentioned tires are now more than steel in price.Im in the parts business but see so many people by the cheap broken down model and think they will save money.Well by the time they are done they hate it and are almost tired of it before they get started.Shop smart and dont be afraid to ask for help.Enjoy and learn

Husker44A
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As for a price of a barn fresh JD A or B with decent tires straight tin and complete hand or electric start that's free I would say around $800-$1200. Tires are pricey but if you look around you can get a decent set for around $3-400 each. For parades do you really have to have $1500 Goodyears Or Titan tires ? No. They look good but you'll have more in tires then what the JD is worth. Also, if you get the JD that you were talking about and it is free and not stuck. These JD'S are not hard to work on. Very simple machines. They all take maintenance. They all or most leak oil/coolant. A few gaskets and time and patience is all that's needed oh yeah money too. Good luck with your choice. I have a handstart 1944 JD A that I really enjoy playing with. It needs tires and tubes but I found a local guy that's got a set of tires for $300 good tread and not rotten. Then I have to buy tubes at $65 a piece.

Frank 41
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with jturbo10, that it depends what you are going to do with it. I have bought mine for parades and investment. When I started, a friend said don"t buy a B, they are like belly butons, everyone has one. Buy something with low production numbers. Well, I have 4 US Bs but they are low numbered tractors with the BR being the most produced.

B kram
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really thank everyone for the great info about what to look for. I have not found many A or B's that are currently running but are complete and not froze. I did find a B model for $1000 that is complete, tires are pretty good but low on air due to sitting for a long time. I notice it has a generator and a batter tray someone mounted to the side frame? From looking around, I was thinking it may be a 1941 model B. Did those have generators then or was thsi a conversion someone did? It does not run but is not stuck. A 1000 dollars id more my price range.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remember, you won't be going on many "Group Tractor Drives" with the Early 2-Cylinder JD's..they only has 4 Gears and ran about 4 MPH in High...
Something to consider...

Ron,,

pbb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a unstyled D and a unstyled A.There nice for shows and parades but for tractor rides i hate it because i cant go. They wont keep up.I myself is looking for a tractor.I wanting either a late A or B.My buddie 52 A will run around 12mph.If your going to do alot of hauling it a model B will be lighter.What ever you get make shure its a 6 speed.Good luck.

B-maniac
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: First tractor recommendations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with most of the others. I am assuming you want JD since you are on this forum asking. Late "B" with good tires and good running and maybe older restoration. Should be able to get one for $2000 - $2500 that needs very little to nothing. Also can haul it on 16' trailer with a heavy half T pickup. If you need power steering and live power then go up to a 520. You can get them for around $4500 in nice shape and they are going up in value. I have a '37 A and 1950 B and although the A is fun to work in the field the way it lugs and sounds , the B is more practicle and lighter and goes faster for rides.. JMO.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.