Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone know anything about a 1896?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
770guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We've got a 2090 here with a bunch of hours, and I've been dreaming of updating to a 2096. I like the idea of getting the nicer features of the 94 series with the fuel savings of the smaller CDC engine, but I haven't found one with a price i like. I saw a '89 1896 on a sale that looks good. I'm wondering how much will I loose power wise vs. the 2090. I realize the 1896 is rated about 10 hp less, but how well does that translate in the field? Its the same engine and size as a 2096 right? Just turned up for more hp? Anything else I should know about this one? Thanks.

wheat straw
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cant answer your specific questio but the 1896 was their pilot run for the cdc engine. Tested way up there on fuel effeciency. Above 16hphr per gallon I believe. Always thought it woulod make a good baler tractor. I remember when it first hit the dealers lot. I gave it a good looking over trying to figure out what it was.

Wheat Straw

1370rod
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think you will notice any hp reduction. Only a couple in this area and for the most part they have been very dependable. Relay control boards for the Pr Shift needs to be replaced occasionaly but thats about it. Rod.

Jeremy McNary
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't worry about the power loss, if you take it in any competant diesel mechanic can turn it up to the same horsepower as the 2096, the entire engine is the same just the fuel setting is different.

Thad
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are a great tractor i have sold several. As far as compared to a 2090 you will notice a diffrence. The 2090 will have more grunt even when you turn up the 5.9 and you wont notice any diff in the fuel. I sold one to a good freind who had a 2090 he pulls a 15 ft cutter in the hills. He is a mechanic and very observant we turned the 1896 up to 115. He also is a dodge man so he was supprised when it burned just as much fuel as the 2090. I also sold one to a guy who had a 970 burn. He also said it burned more fuel than his 970 did. All that said the case engine is hard to beat on economy. Like i said earlier the 1896 and 2096 are a good tractors. Thad

case trader
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've run both 18 and 20 very reliable, and as rod said printed circuit board is about all that gives trouble, that said you will notice the cubic inch difference, a stock 2090 will out pull and for sure lug a load a lot better, side by side when you stop at the end of the day they will both use the same fuel,go figure 504 cubes and 359.both will make the green ones hang there heads at the fuel tank.buy it you will like it.

Ken Jentges
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have 2 1896's and a 2096. All 3 are great tractors. Only real problem we've had was with the circuit board. The 20 dyno's 125, don't know what the 18's are, but when we got our 940 NH big baler we put the 20 on it. It had to work but could handle it. After a few years we got the first 18 and tried that on it. It can handle it better than the 20. Pulls it anywhere on he farm in 3-3, 7 MPH, that is if you can stay in the seat! Both of our 18's are open stations, handiest tractors you can imagine, and run dirt cheap. Buy it, you cant go wrong in my opinion.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember when Dad could have traded the 970 in on a new 1896 for $17000 to boot. Wish he had done it. There's a 2096 with cab and duals on Mankato,Mn Craigslist for $17500, doesn't look too bad.

Redcru
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2096 is intercooled.

770guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like it will work for most of what we use the 2090 for. I went ahead and talked to the owner about it. He said the A/C was out and needed to be updated, and there was a noise in the PTO kinda like a rough bearing. Never had that with any of ours. Is it more than likely just a bearing? How hard is it to fix?

770guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw that 2096 on craigslist the other day. Looks good but its more than I was hoping to spend. We'll see how this 1896 pans out.

Last edited by 770guy on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
caseman-d
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about a 1896? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stay away from it. Parts are getting hard to find for the drive train and can be spendy. We had one in the shop and one thing led to another problem. Guy had more in the tractor was worth. He would of salvaged it but already had put money into the engine earlier.
caseman-d

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.