Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Value of a 1973 666 Farmall?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmallfever1990
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Value of a 1973 666 Farmall? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi,
I found a 1973 666 Farmall Diesel gear drive for sale. It has approx 6500 hrs on it. Transmission and engine are in good shape and it has good rubber on both front and rear. It has small power steering leak on the steering cylinder. Also what are some of the weak points on the 666 as I have never worked on one before. Theyre asking $4900.00 for it, does this sound like a reasonable price? Thanks

erik dekeyser
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 1973 666 Farmall? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That sounds like a great price for a diesel 666. If the engine is good and the TA is in good working order and it has good tires thats a good price. Check the TA i think its a week point in that tractor.

kennell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 1973 666 Farmall? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's a 666 without fenders and truck tires on the front for 11000.on Mmaine's craigslist.
The 666 has the old style TA which free wheels in low TA. Pretty ttractors, and you don't see many for sale. Kent

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 1973 666 Farmall? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had considered trading in my 686 (a series newer than a 666) this past fall, and I was offered $9,000 trade in by two different dealers. I think $4900 is a very fair price. I know the 686 has been a great tractor, and due to some financial decisions I had to make, I'll be keeping it for quite a few years yet.

farmallfever1990
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 1973 666 Farmall? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have heard of the older style T/A "free-wheeling" what does that mean, and what makes it do that as opposed to the newer ones? I have heard that you cannot use the older style T/A to slow down in road gear either

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 1973 666 Farmall? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"free wheeling" means that when the TA is on the low side, there is no resistance from the engine when going down a hill. In essence, it is like being in neutral. If the TA is on the high side, no problem. The engine will hold back on a downhill grade just like any other tractor. With my 686 and 886 tractors, I make it a habit of just running them on the high side all the time, and only pulling down to the low side when I need a little extra power to get through a tough spot or to slow down when going over rough ground. Once the tough going or rough ground is passed, back to the high side they go. That way I am not caught off guard if I am in a situation where "free wheeling" could occur.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 1973 666 Farmall? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Using either TA to slow down in road gear is a good way to get rid of a few thousand $$$.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.