Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geo-thermo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty MI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Geo-thermo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On a pump and dump geo system, how do you calculate the amount of water you need to pump ?

Dusty

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Geo-thermo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to know how many BTU's are needed on the water.

I think the calculation is:

BTU = (Temp in - Temp Out) * GPM * 500

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Geo-thermo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hydro-temp.com has quite a bit of information on their site. One of the notes I found was that pump and dump uses about 1gpm per ton of cooling/heating. Per example, my house is 1200 sq ft. and is heavily insulated, and uses a 2 ton system, so I would need a well, or what ever source, capable of providing 2 gallons of water per minute.

Last edited by john *.?-!.* cub owner on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
DH in Carolina
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Geo-thermo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Miami heap pumps call for 2.4 gpm per ton on evaporator side in heating or cooling, with a 10 degrees temp differance on condenser side.

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Geo-thermo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I passed on that system. I just could not justify dumping that much water. If you have a pond, that might be different. My BIL did his own system and dumped water down an abandoned well.

Larry

Dusty MI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Geo-thermo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a pond that needs the water. Just don't know if my 5" well and pump can produce enough. I will need about 50,000 btu. Ground water here is 55*.

Dusty

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Geo-thermo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fergienewbee,
I'm with you on spending too much money on pump and dump or geo's for that matter.

Look at the total expence, look at the life expectancy, then calculate how much it's going to save you. The bottom line: Is it really worth it?

Some say windmills have a life expectancy of 20 years and it takes 50 years to pay them off.

If it weren't for tax and electric breaks, is it really worth it? Not to mention, there is always something that is going to need repaired.

I'm not so sure when you factor in the cost of the well, how much it cost to pump water, is it really worth it? Would like to see real data, not just use what the guy selling you the unit says it will save.

How many people have a geo heat pump that lasted 20 years and didn't have a service call? How much did it cost and how much did it save?

W_B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Geo-thermo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

George Marsh wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:12:54 01/22/13) fergienewbee,
I'm with you on spending too much money on pump and dump or geo's for that matter.

Look at the total expence, look at the life expectancy, then calculate how much it's going to save you. The bottom line: Is it really worth it?

If it weren't for tax and electric breaks, is it really worth it? Not to mention, there is always something that is going to need repaired.

I'm not so sure when you factor in the cost of the well, how much it cost to pump water, is it really worth it? Would like to see real data, not just use what the guy selling you the unit says it will save.

How many people have a geo heat pump that lasted 20 years and didn't have a service call? How much did it cost and how much did it save?

I don't have my figures anymore but when we built our log house in 1992 we calculated a 7 year payback. We did it not the dealer as I was skeptical too. No tax breaks, no electricity cost breaks. We used a ground source system and not a well. In ten years there we only had the bearing go out on a circulation pump, covered under warranty. Was it worth it? Absolutely. If I ever build again I'll put it in. Let's face it what can you install today that won't need a service call, let alone go 20 yrs. without one?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.