Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtirediron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, were having first major real cold snap here of the season. Last night forcasted -12F and hit her pretty close. Tonight forcast -25F and tommrow night -28F. Took a last quick check of anti freeze yesterday afternoon in tractor, dozer, and 3 vechicles. Bout soiled my bibs when I tested antifreeze in pick-up...good for -2 degrees. Wondered how in the h3ll I did that. Anyway, siphened a couple gallons out of the system through the neck and added some anti freeze to get back to -35F and ran her. Question I left the covered container I drained into outside last night to see if I was losing it. Sure enough at -13F it hadn't froze. Do testers go bad? Just a cheap Prestone brand with a floating arrow, but it's always worked pretty well or so I thought. How cold do you WAY Northern guys go with the mix. I always winterized our I/O boat engine to -45F and wondered if at -46 does it freeze solid, get slushy, what exactly happens? Finally, what kind of tester do you folks recommend for use hydrometer or refractory? Brand specific model ect. Thanks, Tom B.

tomNE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i never get too worried if i've got it covered to zero.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always mix it 50/50. Takes it down to around -40 if I remember right.

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Retired Farmer if you adding or putting new 50/50 is what is used in this part of the country. As long as it checks -10 to -15 and it is not used it probably would get by.

Paul Janke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I usually will settle for a 50/50 mix. It won't expand and break anything if it gets colder than that. I think it just gets kind of slushy. If it is colder than that, you probably don't need much cooling anyway. The oil in the pan can probably about take care of cooling needs at that point.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just mix it 50/50 and ALWAYS USE THAT MIX. I never add water. I forget what that's good for in terms of minimum temp but it's more than sufficient 'here'.
If I do use a hydrometer it's just the basic plastic type one from NAPA that has a plumb float and a level line. Fill to the level line, hold plumb... and look at the main float for the value.

Rod

55deere70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always mixed 50/50 also. I think it's good for -40. Now I usually buy the premix at NAPA cause I like the distilled water in it. Our well water has a lot of minerals in it that can cause scaly buildup in the cooling system.

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like what a couple of other guys said. If you aren't covered to -20 the water antifreeze doesn't freeze just gets slushy. You can't be too light on the antifreeze though. Drive it down the road before it gets warmed up and you have a problem. It doesn't want to circulate through the radiator.

buzzinduzzin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

50/50 -34 F if you want accurate freeze tester get a refractometer

Cliff Nelson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Refractometer is the most accurate tester but they are not cheap.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a very accurate tester. Good for antifreeze and battery testing the specific gravity. Hal

leroy in ne

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ethelyne glycol anti freeze can be checked with floating ball or needle type testers for an approximate indication. proper tester is as el toro says, refractrometer. however do not try to test propoleyne glycol with a ball tester or arrow tester for ethelyne glycol, premixed bobcat antifreeze will check 5 or 10 above with the above testers, proper refractometer must be used for propelene glycol as i understand it. let me know if this is incorrect. leroy

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"vehad the same thing happen with those flaotaing tester. I bought a refractomer tester o ebay for $25 and it pretty repeatable.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Antifreeze and Testers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My two cents. Always go for the 50/50. The little ball testers I have need to be as full as possible and then turn them upside down. NOW the balls float up one at a time. The pointer type is a prestone and it also must be as full as you can make it. Never had any trouble.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters