Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Air Compressor Identity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffWfarm
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found this in my barn. Plugged it in and it works, but the pump needs work, slow to fill tank. Any idea WHAT it is?

GarryinNC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks likes it was made from an old refrigeration compressing unit. It may never pump real fast, looks like it has small pistons.

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was that barn ever used for a dairy operation? It might be a vacuum pump for the milkers.

XRogerX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might be Brunner, but it looks like a home-built lash-up to me. I agree that it looks like a re-purposed reefer compressor, as it has no cooling fins. I wouldn"t trust that tank.

KSTractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pre OSHA when people were smart enough to keep fingers out of belt and fan

JeffWfarm
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MisterT wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:39:24 01/20/13)
Was that barn ever used for a dairy operation? It might be a vacuum pump for the milkers.

Yes it was a dairy farm. Thanks for the reply

JeffWfarm
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So maybe my best best would be to sell it for parts and get a real compressor?

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JeffWfarm wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:30:06 01/20/13)
So maybe my best best would be to sell it for parts and get a real compressor?

Remove the electric motor and maybe a few other parts, save those for future use, and then send the rest of it to the scrap pile.

Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

UI wouldn't be too quick to scrap it. The old compressors are the good ones. Make sure you have all leaks stopped. Use it awhile. It may improve. It'll probably never be too fast, but if it just doesn't seem to be performing, remove the head & have a look at the reed valves. I like old compreseors.

Glenn

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I helped a co-worker test run one of those once, I think it built up over 300 psi,(without a tank) make sure you have a good relief valve on it.

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Again, old refer pump. See how the air comes up through the
crankcase inlet? There's a valve in the piston to let it in the
cylinder.

I wouldn't run that sucker up with that tank!

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

XRogerX wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:46:00 01/20/13) Might be Brunner, but it looks like a home-built lash-up to me. I agree that it looks like a re-purposed reefer compressor, as it has no cooling fins. I wouldn"t trust that tank.
Bet you are too late, as he already ran pressure up.........see outlet gauge.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor Identity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spin it around so the belt is next the wall. Then you're less apt to get your shirt tail wrapped up in it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters