Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amp vs Volt Gauge

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oaf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The amp gauge on my 650 has a bad seal and I want to replace it before I put the loader back on.

If I decided to install a volt gauge instead of replacing the amp gauge, can I just hook the wires up the same way on the two posts or is special wiring needed?

The previous 12V conversion would require a 12V volt gauge, but is there a difference between 6V and 12V amp gauges?

Thanks.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amp gauge and volt gauge work different so to use a volt gauge you would have to rewire it some but to go back with an amp gauge it is a simple remove and install. Amp gauge reads charging system out put while a volt gauge reads battery volts and or charging volts

Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ammeters and Voltmeters are wired differently.

Maybe a diagram will help, or maybe it will confuse.

For a voltmeter, I would hook up the + side of the voltmeter to the switched side of the ignition switch and the - side to a chassis ground. Make sure the + side of the meter is on the switched side of the ignition switch or the meter will stay on with the tractor off and slowly drain the battery.

Hope this makes sense

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You really want to reinstall an amperage gauge. NAPA has numerous varieties.

Batteries are charged by current flowing into them to move the chemicals from solution to the plates. You can easily watch the rate of charge from say 20 amperes to just a trickle, as you can watch the rate of discharge.

Before the advent of digital voltmeters, voltmeters were more or less useless as a volt or a few tenths would mean the difference between charged and needing it and the resolution on analog meters (those with needles), especially the lower priced ones, couldn't show you that difference.

Trust me, reinstall an ammeter. Plus side is you have no rewiring to do; just get one with adequate ranges, undo the wires from the old and connect to the new.

Mark

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oaf,
I have a 1950 IH C and a Jubilee, both are 12v conversions. You can use a diode or an idiot light to fire up the alternator. I like the idiot light. Before I start the tractor the light is on, telling me the alternator is getting a wake up call and my fuses are good. When the light goes off, it tells me the alternator is charging. The amount of charge really isn't that important. I do like the ammeter over the voltmeter. The idiot light really eliminates the need for either. I do have many idiot lights on the workbench, because they can go bad.
George

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

or, and your diagram proves it, ampere gauges are
wired in the circuit and voltmeters are wired across
the circuit.

Oaf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks one and all!

I now see the difference and will plop in another ammeter just to save the trouble of fooling with it.

KrisNMo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just completely rewired my NAA to 12 volt. Changed to a volt meter because the ammeter was only rated for 30 amps and the alternator was 61 amp and I just prefer the volt meter (don't know why). When the alternator is charging the battery it shows just over 15 volts and then drops to 14 when normal. If you are going to stay with a ammeter I would go with a 60 amp meter if you are running an alternator.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep.. you will have to do minor rewireing toinstall a volt meter.

wire the 2 wires together at the old ammeter.

wire a wire from the switched side of key switch to + of voltmeter.. and - of voltmeter to chassis.

key on = voltmeter reading.

me personaly? I prefer an ammeter.. it shows you the 'health' of your electrical system.. not some ominous volt measurement that MAY be meaningless...

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No need to go to a 60 amp gauge just because you have an alternator that is rated at 60 amp. A 30 amp one works just fine since in all likely hood the alternator on a tractor will NEVER put out the full 60 amps and if it does then you have a short and that will in turn most likely fry the alternator.
So now your handle say you live in Missouri where are you at. Me I am at the lake of the Ozarks. Former Navy Electronics technician by the way

KrisNMo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:23:29 01/21/13) No need to go to a 60 amp gauge just because you have an alternator that is rated at 60 amp. A 30 amp one works just fine since in all likely hood the alternator on a tractor will NEVER put out the full 60 amps and if it does then you have a short and that will in turn most likely fry the alternator.
So now your handle say you live in Missouri where are you at. Me I am at the lake of the Ozarks. Former Navy Electronics technician by the way

I just like everything in a system to match, just me I guess.

My handle has been in MO, been here in Troy, Mo just NW of St. Louis since 2008. Prior to 2008 I was in Wisconsin. My dad is just north of Branson, he's been there for about 30 years.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far as electronically matching on an amp gauge pretty much no need to do so since almost never will see full amps and many times a gauge that is to high rated will not show you what you really need to know.
I know about where you are at and also where you dad is at. Been here Camdenton, the Lake of the Ozarks since I got out of the navy in July of 1980 so in July of this year it will be 33 years of living here

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An alternator can indeed put out its max output when the battery is low and the engine is first fired off. Full output does not mean that there is a short somewhere.

Also, full output would not fry the alternator, as they are self-current limiting. An alternator rated at 60 amps will put out approximately 60 amps and no more if the situation calls for it.

Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old-Do you recognize this place?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp vs Volt Gauge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To argue with you would be pointless as your answer is also but hey have your own opinion. I know what I have said is right but oh well just been doing this for decades and 30 amp gauges have worked well for decades

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.