Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

201 gas vs diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: 201 gas vs diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Were the gassers subject to the same cavitation/porosity problems as the diesels were?
I've read lots of posts about cavitation in diesels but never once about it in a gasser.
Kenny just found out he has the dreaded cylinder wall rust-through on that junky 4600 he's working on.
We were thinking it would be cheaper to use a gas block that I have rather than the expense of having it sleeved.
Thanks

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 201 gas vs diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AFAIK, the problem is more common in diesels, but the gassers aren't immune. If I understand it right, its more common in the diesels because of the higher combustion pressures, which result in more cylinder wall flex and the resulting cavitation. Using your gasser block will be cheaper IF it doesn't need to be bored out, but beyond that, you won't gain anything.

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 201 gas vs diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't remember the color, but once I was reading parts lists on tractors and noticed that the bottom end of diesel's was a lot heftier than gas counter parts. One difference I recall is a main for each cylinder whereas the gas only had 3 for the whole engine.

HTH,
Mark

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 201 gas vs diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AFIK, there is no cavitation issue with the gasoline engines.

Dean

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 201 gas vs diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd check the parts book and make sure the blocks are identical. I think they are... but check.

Rod

Paul in MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 201 gas vs diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've paid mild attention to this topic for a number of years as I have 3 401 6 cylinder diesels plus Ford Powerstroke PU engines (none of which have showed this problem). The industry sources say the cavitation is due to the high level of diesel "ping" as it fires under load. This ping sets up the coolant touching the cylinder side into small bubbles. As the bubbles burst, the coolant slams back into the void and slams the cylinder sidewall hard enough to create the erosion. In the Powerstroke engines this can be greately reduced by using the Ford coolant additive. I think it acts like a soap keeping the coolant "wetter". Ford formulated a yellow color antifreeze with the same properties, so it does not need the additive. This same type of cavitation occurs in other brand tractor and truck diesel engines and is dealt with in a variety of methods.

Our gasoline engines have never had any significant problem with these issues, as their combustion is more of a "woosh" than a "bang". Antifreeze formulated for big truck engines is a different chemistry than normal auto antifreeze. It does not have the silicates that auto antifreeze has.

As to the interchangability of the gasser block and the diesel block, I have no real knowledge, but I'd sure have my doubts.

Paul in MN

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 201 gas vs diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i've also hear leass/no issue with gassers.. however I still run the DCA addatives in my gassers.

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 201 gas vs diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The initial combustion pressure rise due to compression ignition is more like "knock" in a gas engine and so that"s why the problem occurs.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 201 gas vs diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks fellows.
I think he's going to bore and sleeve the block he has. Mainly because the block I have is the old style with the screw in plugs.
Means he'd have to go back to a generator to run the tach.
I have a set of NOS sleeves he's going to use.
I also have an NOS 4600 head he's going to take.
Going to trade me for his old head.
Such a deal.
I think I'll go to bed now and cry.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.