Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4010 LP-Hard Starting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toby Harter
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: 4010 LP-Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My friend has a 4010 LP Standard that is having an issure. Sometimes it will pop right off and other times it won't start at all. I have checked all electrical connections, replaced the cap, rotor, points, and condensor. It's full of propane as I have loosened connections and made sure it has propane all the way to the converter. I'm just wondering if there is something simple I need to do or should check out. Thanks for the help fellas!

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 4010 LP-Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might check the oil level in the air cleaner bowl. Have you considered changing points/cond to electronic ignition??

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 4010 LP-Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 4020 LP and spent a lot of time and money trying to get
reliable operation out of it and it just didn't happen. Every day,
every hour, different time of day, different engine temp, all were
a variance in getting it to light off.

However, in support of your suggestion, I did get CD ign. for
mine and it helped a lot.

Oh, and that was the same tractor that I bought that had these
little holes down the side of the block with oil oozing
out......HA!....another cost of an education........during the
overhaul I realized that it was a premature failure caused by the
previous mechanic (who-whatever that was) put the wrong color
sleeve seal against the fluid to be sealed; had them backwards.

Selling that sucker and buying a diesel was one of the best
things I ever did.

Mark

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 4010 LP-Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Toby,
Are you starting on Vapor? not liquid! An old Trick used to start 4010 & 4020 LPs is to rotate the steering wheel about 1/3 turn back and forth in rapid succession. it seems to drop the pressure that is generated in the front pump and helps starting. Why, It just seems to start better. At times My LPs will start in 3 to 5 revolutions other times 6 to 10 I know there is nothing wrong. I think it has to do with ambient outside air temps. there are times LP just will start better than others. Hope this helps.
Later,
John A.

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 4010 LP-Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The key to getting an LP to start is a hot spark. Close the throttle almost all of the way when cranking.

If your converter is in poor condition it can cause poor starting also.

An LP fuel system in good condition is very similar to fuel injection. It starts and runs good regardless of how hot or cold it is.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 4010 LP-Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Friend"s 4020 has a hole in the center of the regulator where you can use a small nail or screwdriver and it acts like a primer bulb. You can hear it hiss. Seemed to help starting. Key had to be on or no hiss.

rickdeere

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 4010 LP-Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it starts right up when cold or for the first time that day, and harder to start after that the same day its your hydralic presure, try turnning steering wheel or moving hydralic lever when its hard to start should start right up.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 4010 LP-Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If hyd's is causing engine to crank slowly you could install and use a destroking screw(parts key #6).

Last edited by Tx Jim on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
rickdeere

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 4010 LP-Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree

TIMAR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 4010 LP-Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PERTRONIX INGNITION AND A 2 12V BATTERIES. My 70 LP 4020 fired up like my fuel injected truck after this. Also, after you turn on key and the VAPOR ONLY, give it 5-10 seconds for the vapor to reach the carb

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.