Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally Changed it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tech 7
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Finally Changed it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For the last two or so years I have battled with ignition problems on my beloved 1020. Last Saturday I used the tractor for about an hour. It started and ran fine as it had the previous Saturday when I worked it for about 3 hours scraping barnyards. So after shutting it down on Saturday morning I went back to it a few hours later and it had no thought of firing. Pulled the cap off....points are trashed...SECOND set since last May.@#$%^&!!!! Went out Sunday and cleaned up what was left of the points to make it run enough to get inside. Was going to do some more work to the points but decided to bite the bullet and install the Electronic Ignition kit that I bought back in December. (just needed the right incentive I guess)The kit installed really easy considering I was working under a lean to roof at about 15 F and a cheery west "breeze" I will admit I had my doubts about this little bit of magic in a box but when I was done she fired right up and ran smooth. I guess I have become one of the converts on this board that says go with the Electronic upgrade.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Finally Changed it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Give it time. I have had mixed results. Hopefully yours will stay working.

Hayfarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Finally Changed it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have converted 2 of my tractors to electronic ignition and love it. My JD430 was also hard on points. Couldn't keep them adjusted. I went to ei and haven't touched the distributor since, I think it has been about 12 or 15 years. I also converted an IH SMTA. Both tractors were already 12 volt. Ths SMTA has also worked great. I open up the plug gap some on these tractors. I find that works for me anyway.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Finally Changed it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm with you Bob,,that little box burns out with no warning and you can't go to the parts store to pick one up....your dead in the water till one comes in the mail,,Darn it..but when they work they are great..

bigboreG
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Finally Changed it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had one burn out in three months. Til it did, I was happy with it. I am sold on Blue Streak points, I put those in and have had no trouble since. So I will stick with points for now.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Finally Changed it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes that's been my experience with them, seems like any kind of voltage spike will knock them out, they are a great Idea, but I think most of them come from China so that says it all..I know a lot of guys on here seem to get along fine with them..

Cliff Nelson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Finally Changed it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use resistor (graphite core) plug wires. One of the first kits I installed quit after 6 months. The manufacturer warrantied it but said that metallic plug wires set up a radio frequency that damages the controller. With graphite wires that tractor is still running after 18 years and only changed plugs a couple times in that time. It is used daily.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Finally Changed it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I've never heard that angle before Cliff,,makes sense..

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Finally Changed it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put one in neighbors MF 65, and it worked so good that I changed his other 65. The second one quit, and fortunately I had saved the old parts!
I put a unit, along with their "hot" coil in an old Dodge 318 in a truck that liked to foul plugs. I couldn't tell that it made any difference.

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally Changed it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As long as you use the proper coil and the unit doesnt get any serious voltage spikes it will work fine. I installed one in a late B around 10 years ago, and I dont think the cap has been off since that time. I installed one in a late A 4 or so years ago but have replaced it twice due to people leaving the key on overnight. It'll smoke one for sure....

Very few of these units are defective. Most failures are due to improper installation. One big mode of failure is from those who run single wire alternators. They are not usually grounded well so that they have huge voltage spikes. If they are grounded properly all is well..

My biggest reason wasnt for burned points, but rather for corroded points. My tractors sit more than they are used. In my damp southern climate the points would be varnished in no time...

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Finally Changed it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had a kit on my 60 for the last 6 years. Best single improvement I did for the reliability of the tractor. Fires right up in damp weather.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.