Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swapping a 172" engine into 8N

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turnaround
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Swapping a 172" engine into 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a nearly new condition, OHV Ford 172" Industrial engine that I want to install into my 51 8N, I bought a 1954 Ford tractor engine plate thinking it might work but, while similar, no go. I think the 172 was factory in the Ford 601 series machines?? Anyone know of a easy way to install the later OHV 172" engine into the 8Ns using the standard 8N transmission. I am not plowing with it, just pulling a manure spreader and working a hay spear. The adapter would have to fit against the 172's 1/4" engine plate (because of the starter mount being on the plate) and be about 1 3/4" front to rear, and then have the 8N transmission pattern. I could weld something up, but getting something that large machined flat and parallel, and drilled concentrically, is a bit of a problem.

RBnSC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping a 172 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With enough money and time anything is possible. I personally love a challenge but I think you would be better off finding a tractor that the engine would bolt in or trading it for a good engine for your 8N if it needs one. I recently traded a complete running 8N for a 601 with a bad motor. Had a spare engine and made a good tractor.
Ron

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping a 172 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not practical but if you have lots of time and/or money on your hands, it is certainly possible.

A much more practical solution would be to simply sell your 8N and 172 engine and buy an 8xx tractor.

Dean

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping a 172 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 172 engine was used in the 800/801 series tractors. The 134 was used in the 600/601 series tractors just so you know. As for bolting a 172 into a 8N even if you did you would have to be careful how you used it or you could brake things just like the funk conversions have problems with. Either way it would not be easy to install that engine but with enough $$ any thing can be done

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping a 172 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ditto what the others said.

172 were in 8xx/9xx machines.

134 in 6xx machines.

i'd loose the 8n rear half and get a cheap 00+ ( 55-64 ) series with a blown engine.. and then have a REAL machine.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping a 172 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Turnaround........with enuff money, you can do ennythang ...howsomevers... the OHV engine is TALLER than the flathead 8N engine so where are you gonna put the gastank??? Marvin Bauman has put flathead V-8's, Chebby V-8's, even a turbo-jet engine into 8N's. Bottomline, it ain't as eazy as you think, fuggettaboutt!!.......Dell

Kirk-NJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping a 172 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's a lot more to it that just making up an adapter plate and bolt it on. It ain't cheap unless you have your own machine shop. As stated you can do almost anything with time and money. I would look for an 800/801/ early 4000 "ran when parked" for cheap money in this economy, Switch out the engines, free up the clutch while you have it split.Even someone who has never done one before can do the whole thing in less then a half day. IMO an EZ switch and you'll love the power and hydraulics moving around those bales.
Here is my 8n 2.8 chevy conversion. Beleive me it's a lot of work.

Kirk

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.