Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International 100 how can this be?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathon

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My tractor has what appears to be the original serial number tag. It is stamped 559 J and that is about all I can read. According to the serial number lists I have looked at this should be a 1955 model. All the casting dates range from April to September with a suffix letter B. This includes engine, trans, differential etc. B reportedly designates 1956. How can this be?
Thanks,
DeWayne

Hoover913
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think on the Farmall 140s a "J" code meant a Rockford Clutch option. It may mean something similar for the 100s.

Nathon

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks but I am referring to the serial number which tells us the tractor is a 1955 model but the date code B on the castings means they were not produced till 1956. Something is not consistent with this information.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

559 is a 1954 model. See if you can find a casting code on the clutch housing, The letter should be A for 54, meaning the casting was replaced. The serial tag could also have been replaced. The tag could also be a 55 if you can find another number after the 9. To be a 56 it has to have 1 as the first number and another number following the 9. If the 559 is very clear, then you have a different casting.

Achodges1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Casting codes can't lie. If the casting code on the housing that the tag is on is a b then the tag has been replaced.

d282
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to this sites serial number list which I believe to be correct makes your tractor a 54, so apparently the bell housing has been replaced at one time since B is the correct casting letter for 1956.

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most likely you have misidentified a 130 as a 100. 130 number 559 was built in November 1956. You casting dates all agree with that build date.

Iamarv
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We need more information. Read the block casting number under the front spark plug and report back to us. I suspect you have a Farmall 130.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CNKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:51:42 01/23/13) 559 is a 1954 model. See if you can find a casting code on the clutch housing, The letter should be A for 54, meaning the casting was replaced. The serial tag could also have been replaced. The tag could also be a 55 if you can find another number after the 9. To be a 56 it has to have 1 as the first number and another number following the 9. If the 559 is very clear, then you have a different casting.

I thought '54 is Z and '55 was A.

Jim Becker wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:29:19 01/23/13) Most likely you have misidentified a 130 as a 100. 130 number 559 was built in November 1956. You casting dates all agree with that build date.

Sounds most logical right now since it is covered in Bs.

Last edited by sflem849 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathon

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I was starting to suspect the 130 notion myself but the fella I bought it from says that he grew up near this tractor and used it numerous times before he bought it and he is convinced it is an International 100. The clutch housing definitely has the B suffix meaning it is a 1956 part. The serial tag does not appear to have been tampered with. I can not legitimately read the engine code date with the hydraulic lines in the way but all other casting dates are suffix B. Is there any other method or change of parts that might give a clue to whether this is really a 100 or 130.

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look for the engine number, the stamped in sequential number, not a cast in number. It should be on a machined boss at the top edge of the engine block, more or less below #1 spark plug. The governor control rod should be the only obstruction to seeing it.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: International 100 how can this be? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I typed in the wrong letter for the year, A is 55. I have three 53 Farmalls with casting codes of Y, so 54 is Z, I should have known when I read my response before posting.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.