Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8N sleeves

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy boy2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve read some were made without sleeves. Are they visible in the bottom of the bore with the oil pan off?? I have 4 engines,and I want to rebuild one that was sleeved. Thanks

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think there were any from the factory without sleeves, a different approach in later years, and used flathead Ford pistons. And yes, you should be able to see the sleeves from the bottom (oil pan off --duh). There are two types of sleeves. You need the manual and some time to read - or you could check the 'Archives' above. HTH

billy boy2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I figured you could see them, but the first one I opened up, I couldn't. I've read and read, and a few places said some of the 2Ns came without sleeves, and steel wheels. The one I opened today was from a '48, but could have been made during the wartime conservation period. I guess I'll open up another one tomorrow. I just want a sleeved one to rebuild, for the ease and cheaper to rebuild next time. The engine is the original one to the tractor. I was hoping it was sleeved. When I pulled the oil pan I expected them to stand out, but after cleaning around the bore, it all looks like solid cast.

Last edited by billy boy2 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not to be an axxwhole, but maybe have a closer look. HTH

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

billy boy2 wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:20:45 01/24/13) I figured you could see them, but the first one I opened up, I couldn't. I've read and read, and a few places said some of the 2Ns came without sleeves, and steel wheels. The one I opened today was from a '48, but could have been made during the wartime conservation period. I guess I'll open up another one tomorrow. I just want a sleeved one to rebuild, for the ease and cheaper to rebuild next time. The engine is the original one to the tractor. I was hoping it was sleeved. When I pulled the oil pan I expected them to stand out, but after cleaning around the bore, it all looks like solid cast.

the thin 040 sleeves can be hard to see if you are familiar with them. I bet they are sleeved. Easier to take the head off to check them also.

billy boy2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After cleaning around the bore it looked like solid cast. No change in the "grain" or anything??

Old 8 Guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I heard if you have a star at the end of the serial# the motor has size 40 sleeves. A star at each end of # has size 90. Just what I read somewhere. If I am wrong I"m sure someone with more knowlege will corect me. Lots of luck and fun on your rebuild.

billy boy2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did notice what looked like the top point of a star at the end of the number.

billy boy2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The star thing could be true, but no telling how many .040 engines are now .090s

FarmerHR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Bill,
I am in the process of doing an inframe rebuild of my 1948 8N.
When I took the head off, the sleeves were really easy to see. Just wipe the top of the engine clean and they should stand out like a sore thumb.
Hope this helps !

billy boy2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well,I pulled the head and it looks sleeved. Looks like they set down in the block a little. Sound right?

1951 8N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old 8 Guy wrote:
I heard if you have a star at the end of the serial# the motor has size 40 sleeves. A star at each end of # has size 90. Just what I read somewhere. If I am wrong I"m sure someone with more knowlege will corect me. Lots of luck and fun on your rebuild.

A star at the beginning and end of the serial number means that the engine came with .040" sleeves originally. A diamond at the beginning and end of the serial number means that the engine came with .090" sleeves originally.

FarmerHR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Again Bill,
I determined that my 48N had .040 inch thick sleeves.
In the archives there was a set of directions for pulling .040 sleeves written by the Old Hookie. He suggested heating a red stripe down each sleeve with an ox-actylene torch to shink the sleeves. I did this and they really came out easy with a puller. It might be worth your time to read this posting over.
Hope this helps.
Thanks

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Measure the bore. The .040 sleeves are removed , then oversized pistons are run in the block. When that was worn out it should be bored for .090 sleeves.

billy boy2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With the head off, it looks like it has .040s sitting about .040 below the deck. Does that sound right. Still looks like solid cast at the bottom though.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.