Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

welded block

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: welded block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took a Massey 35 Perkins 3 pot in as a trade for an MF 135 engine that I had rebuilt . The old engine had been cracked years ago and badly 'welded' and leaked like a seive. The engine seems to be in excellent condition, it started well and run real good so I decided to try welding it 'cold' after reading up about it on the 'net. I ground off the old weld and 'V-ed' out the crack. I then only welded about 3/8" max at a time, tapping/peining it with a hammer all around it as it cooled to spread the heat. I then waited for about 5 mins before welding again. I finally got it all welded without any further cracking and tidied it up and painted it. I will not know for a while if it has worked but I will report when I get round to fitting the engine.
Sam

Masseynut(Australia)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: welded block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's one thing we never see here in Oz, cracked blocks from freezing,... not even in Tassie.
If our blocks crack, it's "internally" around the circumference of the parent bore, about an inch down from the top face.
Hope it's sucessful for you, good luck,
Evan.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: welded block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Magic! Magic it tis....
better than original!

miner09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: welded block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good. Had a neighbor in the late 50's let a 9N Ford freeze and busted the block more than yours. Got someone to weld it and never gave any problem. I'm sure the welding technology is much better now.

trac
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: welded block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks great,what kind of welding rod did you use?

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: welded block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hope it works out for you. I've been in the welding business for close to 40 years and never had more than 50/50 results of welding blocks in the water jacket. When the engine gets up to temperature and the vibration of the diesel sets in, it may crack again,BTDT. Good Luck.We metal stitch them.

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: welded block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is an experiment, Welding man. I have welded a lot of casting parts on tractors that needed to be very strong with great success. Only time will tell with this one, but it is worth the try. I think if it hadn't been messed with before Iwould have tried the stiching.
Sam

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters