Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT garden question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron wis

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: OT garden question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would like to start my own tomato plant this spring. How many weeks before planting out side should I start the plants inside. Also would it help to move them out on warmer spring days and bring them in at night? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: OT garden question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not an answer to your question but, last year we used the wall-of-water protectors and they really work! We don't live near our garden so we can't cover for frost protection. We bought a 3-pack and the three protected plants were fine and the unprotected ones were set back by a hard frost.

dustycoal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OT garden question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we grow transplants starting 4 to 6 weeks before setting them in the field. warm days above 45 should not hurt them to move them outside some, it should help harden them off some.good luck, enjoy your victory garden.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: OT garden question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Start your seeds indoors now. Use a post hole digger and dig an 8" diameter hole about 3-4ft deep in your garden now or this spring then mix in some fertilizer with the loose dirt as you put the dirt back in the hole. This way the roots can go down deep and the hole will hold water like a barrel for a few days. I did this hole digging last year and it saved my garden during the long drought.

Don't set out all your tomato plants out in the garden at the same time as some of them will die. Yes you will be able to set the plants out during the days and bring them in at night, this will help them adapt to the cool weather.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: OT garden question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I live in ne MD and I start my tomato and pepper plants in the first week in March. Once they have some size I transfer them to a mini-greenhouse. We can have frost up to mid May. I also have those "Walls of Water" and I set out a few tomato plants using those. If it's going to be below freezing I store the plants in the garage.

Last Winter was very mild and I plowed the garden in Feb. You need to figure when you have your last frost in your area. My wife and daughter both have Earth Boxes and they planted
last year in March. They're on wheels and can be rolled under cover. She had tomatoes before I did. Hal

VaTom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: OT garden question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use growing cones that work the best of anything I've tried. No need to take tomatoes in at night, just protect them. Mine have been out for 5 years in the sun, no sign of degradation.

Just picked greens that winter under cones here, we've been down to 11. Material's not cheap, but it lasts a very long time.

Growing Cones

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: OT garden question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's my Troy Bilt Tee shirt. A man in NJ hand painted this. I've never worn it. Hal
PS: I've had several Troy Bilt tillers with this Kohler engine also had two with the tillers painted black that came out in 1991.

Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OT garden question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John B.- I used that method this last year for the first time (idea from this site, maybe you suggested it)

Used my 8" auger to dig holes 3' to 4' deep and backfilled with compost and fertilizer. Planted 96 tomato plants.

Best crop I ever had and produced even in the drought and heat!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.