Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

You just can't go home!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RalphWD45
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Three yr's ago, after having a heart attact, I realized that I might not be here forever, and retired from the Boeing co, at age 70, and decided to make a trip back home to Pike Co. Il. and just look around, and do the memory lane thing. ( The post by Bruce from Can. reminded me of this) I drove down to the old farm, in the IL. river bottoms, at Bedford, and found corn growing up to the yard edge, and the old house was vacant, but looked in good repair. The barn ( Post&Beam white oak with wooden pins) the corn crib, and cattle barn, plus various sheds and chicken house, were all gone, and replaced with corn.No tractor shed or shop bldg. The whole area of farms and the little village of Bedford, had changed, and so many of the houses were gone. I know that they have had several record floods since 1960, and maybe that contributed to this. I drove down to Pearl, and then up to Milton, and only found one man that I remembered, and he was an old man 2 yrs older than me, that was still farming, but his son was doing most of it.I guess most of the people either died off, or moved away. It was good to see the old country, and landmarks, but you just can't go home!

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Correct. The past is a good place to visit, and we should. But you can't live there.

rusted nuts

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, It"s all driffent now.

Dachshund
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I go "home" every day. It's not where I was born, where I graduated High School, or where I grew up, but it IS HOME. It's not even in the same state.

Ken-Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm glad for you that you was able to see your old homestead once again before the Lord calls you home . I have lived in Franklin , Pa. all my life so driving to see my old home isn't far away . I live in my Grammas home since marriage in 66 of which I had spent the first 2 yrs of my life in . I almost died at birth with heart & Bronkitis problems , so Gramma & Grampa kept me here because my Dad actually didn't want me or want me to live (and being a buden to him). Mom finally after 2 yrs took me home with her where I lived until I married at age 21 . My dad was a very abusive man to me mostly but also to 8 of the siblings . He only favored my middle brother )5 yrs younger than I) . There was a total of 11 of us kids plus 1 other brother who Dad admitted to me when I was about 19 yrs old the day he beat me for taking my own car & sneaking out to be with my first girlfriend (future wife). He told me how much he hated me since birth & wished he had kicked my Mom in the stomach & killed me like he did my brother . I truly loved my Dad even tho I really didn't have much of a childs life . I never hated Dad , but hated what he did to me & Mom . So visiting the old homestead , gives me too many flasbacks of Dad constantly beating & if Mom tried to shield me , he's beat her to where she could hardly walk . So I'm glad you got your chance to reminise your good life as a child .Good memories can be precious . God bless, Ken

Ellis Kinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know. I left home when I was 18 to go to college. Graduated in 1968, got drafted, 2 years in the U.S. Army and then spent 30 years teaching school. Retired in 1999. Worked construction for 10 years. Retired again, Left Louisville, Kentucky and built a house on the old family farm near Cincinnati in Northern Ky. The SWMBO and I have been here about 8 months and love it. Ellis

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I set here pounding the keys, I can see the house on the homefarm that my dad and his siblings were born in, the house that I was born in, the house that my dad died in last spring, and the house that Grandpa died in in 1971. I can also see the farms of two of the other uncles on the other side of the valley, who left the home farm, which is still operated by two other uncles. Us family nuts never rolled out of the shade of the old nut tree. PS Grandpa, Dad. and I liked selling farm machinery better than milking cows. We were Case dealers for 55 years. (1931-1986) and I stayed in the Case loop until 1992.I am next door to our former dealership.
Loren, the Acg.

cole in mo.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We moved from the farm that I grew up on to a bigger one in 1959. 40 years later I went back there, the old two story house, the barn that dad built, the 4 bin grainery, the slat corn crib that dad built, the chicken house, the shed, that we ground feed in one end, parked the car in the middle, and dads little shop on the other were gone.
The hog houses, cattle shed, the huge oak that we stacked fire wood under, and used its shade to husk sweet corn under, gone. A guy told me who owned the place, didn't live far, I went over, told him who I was, and that I had grown up on that place, and if it would be ok to walk around the place.
He said sure, I had my dog with me so just like so many many years ago, I was once more home walking, watching my dog explore, seeing some of the old trees still there.
But it wasn't the same, the pond was gone, the ditch that we played in was a grassway, but when I left I couldn't began to haul in my truck all the memories that had come back.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My old home place really hasn t changed much, it was just land when dad built a new house(1961), and the outbuildings were gone before I left(wind storm). But I sure would like to have that big pole barn that the next owner built!

Doug Cotton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph, Interesting to read your post. The towns bring back memories for me as well. I spent several Christmas vacations in Griggsville as that is where my mom was raised so Christmas was always with grandma. Still make it down on occasion to see a friend who still farms there. I think mom left there in about 1960 as well. Thanks for bringing back memories.

Spook
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went back to my old hometown a few years ago for a funeral. Everything looked smaller, tired, and old.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few years ago, wife and I visited farm I was born on. It had a real nice barn when we moved off when I was 8. Barn still standing but only other building was the little old granary with a lean to dad parked car in. I have a picture of me standing in front of that granary when I was two years old, so I took a picture of my wife standing in front of same granary about 65 years later. Has a tree growing up through it now. That big hill we used to sled down had shrunk down to a small rise in a field now.

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

left home at 18; military, marriage and then a job that required numerous moves to several states. retired 1 1/2 years ago moved back to hometown and built a new home on our land. final move!

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The house where I grew up is vacant. My siblings and I still own it and it is for sale. It is a nice little house, in good repair but it is too close to the road that a lot of trucks constantly go by on. The 100 milker farm of my youth just a half mile beyond is now a 1,000 milker and all the trucks carrying feed in and milk and manure out, go by about one every twenty minutes most of the year and one every five minutes during corn time.

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: You just can't go home! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same deal here. All but one of the outbuildings gone, crops planted right up to the house, new house built where our garden used to be.

Drove by a couple of times years back, decided I'd rather remember it the way it was. Haven't been back since.

Last time I went back to Michigan to visit family, I dropped in for Sunday services in the church I grew up in. What I remembered as a large building packed to the rafters with all the adults and kids I grew up with has mysteriously become a rather small church with 3/4 or better of the pews empty. Smaller families, kids moving away looking for work and other factors have shrunk membership to a fraction of what it used to be.

What really hurts is that all, and I do mean ALL of the farmers I looked up to as a kid are gone. Saw the obits on the last one a couple of months ago.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters