Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kohler K321 No Spark

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Appleman007
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Kohler K321 No Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got an Kohler 321 hasn"t been started in ten years but ran before stored indoors. Trying to get it started, no spark. Replaced the plug, coil, wire, condenser, also cleaned the brushes and magnets. Breaker points look like new. Anyone have an idea????

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler K321 No Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd make sure all wires are hooked up, none shorting out. Otherwise everything you mentioned you replaced and checked it should have spark.

Old Roy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler K321 No Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

are the points opening OK?

I have seen bad condensers right out of the box. maybe retry the old one.??

Make sure you have power to the coil. may be fused ignition??? but I'm just guessing it may be on a garden tractor .

SuperABen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler K321 No Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The ignition is probably grounded somewhere. Check all your wires and make sure the covering is good.

Otherwise, check your points: do you have the right air gap (I believe .020)? Are they closing completely?

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_1346_c_all.pdf

Ben W. in VA
OldPathsEquipment.com

joe csuti
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler K321 No Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What type of ign system on eng-points/magneto or points/12v coil?-the K321 came both ways.

Regardless if a mag or 12v ign system,as has been said confirm that points are opening/closeing,if not,either points set incorrectly or plunger/push pin for points may be stuck in block due to rust,after confirming points operating,clean point contacts as same may oxidzed,disconnect coil/condenser lead(s) from points,connect an ohmmeter/battery powered test light between terminal on points & eng block.

With spark plug out,rotate flywheel slowly by hand,confirm you get a zero ohm reading/light when points close,if you do reconnect coil/condenser,if this is a mag ign leave kill lead to ign sw disconnected from points/coil,crank eng & check for spark.

If you have spark now then problem in wiring harness,ign sw/stop sw or safety sw's on tractor/equipment that this eng is mounted on.If no spark with kill lead disconnected,then problem on eng-points set incorrectly,bad condenser,wire from points to coil shorted to block//point cover,poor coil ground connection due to rust/dirt,bad plug lead or plug.

If ign system points/12v coil,check that wire from ign sw to coil is connected to +(pos)terminal on coil,if polarity on coil reversed you won't get spark,turn ign sw to run position & check for 12v at + terminal of coil,if you have check points as above,if points working ok disconnect lead from ign sw to coil,connect a temp lead to coil & battery +(pos)terminal,crank eng,if you have spark now,then problem in wiring,ign sw,safety sw's on tractor/equipment,if still no spark with direct connection to battery,then problem on eng.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler K321 No Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rub the points with some 300 wet or dry. Then see if it wll start. Hal

Appleman007
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler K321 No Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a points/coil ignition. I did everything you suggested except didn't use the ohmmeter on the points going to try that right now.

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler K321 No Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those engines have a small fiberglass push rod
that rides on the camshaft and works the points.
I can get "Gummed up" and hold the points open,
though thats unusual due to spring pressure
trying to close points,OR, it does get worn out
thus not long enough to open points. NAPA has
that part in their "Outdoor Power Equipment"
Catalog, or, Kohler dealers "Should" Stock it.
Some contact points sets include one.

SuperABen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler K321 No Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always use a square of paper off a brown paper bag between the points, since sandpaper scratches off the coating.

Ben W. in VA
OldPathsEquipment.com

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler K321 No Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've used 320 wet or dry for years on points. I still have points in two engines and they haven't been changed in years. They may've needed a little rubbing with some 320 if there's no fire to the plug. They also make point files.
Hal

SuperABen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler K321 No Spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

True, Hal; I use point files and fine sand paper all the time on old points.

I didn't clarify enough in my original post: new points always receive a brown paper scrubbing before they are installed. Takes the factory oil/scum off.

I save the more extensive/stock removal methods for old points. Brown paper won't cut it then!

I guess it's just a matter of preference for the first round of polishing.

Ben W. in VA
OldPathsEquipment.com

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.