Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Gotta be someting wrong......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case e
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There has gotta be something wrong with a guy that spends $60 a month to have two fresh eggs for breakfast on Sunday morning! I have have 23 layers and I figures they eat a bag of feed a week and I eat about 2 eggs a week, suppose that is a bargin? I guess it is if you figure in it teaches my kids a lot of little life lessons. They learn about having chores and responsiblity and they get to sell part of the eggs. They get to keep all the proceeds but have to save part of them. They get to learn about managing a schedule as they are all busy but have to make time for chores too. They learn a little about business as they have a couple of "customers" that want them every two weeks and some that want them just once in a while. The kids also learn about charity as they have a few folks that they give the eggs to. All in all I think 8 eggs a month at $60 is a bargin!

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh my, you let your children work with chickens? That is so very dangerous! All the diseases. A chicken could easily peck out an eye. Those tools you use to muck out the coop, why, they might impale themselves!

Nononono, you must keep your children safely confined in the house with the curtains drawn...

Seriously, good on you for teaching your children responsibility. It's a $60/month investment but the return is priceless.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hear you, iv got 41 layers, if thats what we wanna call them now, haven't seen an egg since early December! But I keep buying feed! Lol

Tom in TN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case e,

What a great post! Keep up the investment.

Tom in TN

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My mom has always had chickens. She must just enjoy them as they sure aren't worth all the bother. Especially in the winter !
As cheap as eggs are in the store and as expensive as feed is I often wonder how these big egg farms can do it ?

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others said, the experience is priceless, but try to lower your food bill by buying grain, cracked corn from farmers, coop or bulk (save your old bags, if needed). Let them run outside and look for their own ( movable run out of pvc pipe or old trampoline frame, netted, work great). And put a little light on them so the winter break from laying is not as long. Wondering how much you get for a dozen in your neck of the woods. here in SW OK, the going rate is $2-3 per dozen .......
Just chiming in, Ralph in OK.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Careful..Children's Services may get after you for Child Abuse..!!

Even people who are un-employed need NOT show a desire to Work...HOW could YOU DO that to the Children who will be our future Leaders, someday..??..!!!!!

Ron..

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I get $2.50 a dozen here in eastern NY. Cracked corn is $10.00 per 50 lbs, layer is $13.50 per 50lbs.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I am doing a little bit better then you are. I too have chickens and been getting 7-10 eggs a day and sell them for $2 a dozen so I am coming close to breaking even on the cost of feed over the sale of eggs. Sold 5 dozen the other day and then picked up a bag of scratch for $10.75 so only $0.75 out of pocket

Case e
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

its a little better than that, I get 12-17 eggs a day and spend $60 on feed. The kids sell the eggs for $1.50 a dozen but several of the folks give them a tip. Sometimes the egg delivery leads to an odd job or two so the really do okay in the egg business. I just want a few fresh eggs and to teach the kids were food comes from and that work pays off. Cash flow on the birds if I sold everything would be 15 eggs x 30=450 eggs /12=37 dozen x$1.50=56.25-60.00=$3.75 loss a month. Not too bad if I didnt eat and give away some of the eggs!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well see you did not tell the whole story. Guess you need to run for office LOL

brian brooks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If 60$ a month would help put 2 kids on the right track....sign me up ,its good to hear the way you are teaching them.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You must insure they give 39% of the eggs to the neighbor kids who are too busy playing video games to raise chickens.

RalphWD45
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of tounge in cheek going on here!, but I liked Old's response best!

Hoofer B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotta be someting wrong...... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need chickens that lay 4 eggs a day (each)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters