Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Want to attach Velcro and other straps to the inside of my toolbox lids, one is aluminum, the other on the GN painted steel. Tried the peel-off sticky (cleaned area as per instruction) kind but the summer heat made them come off. Looking to secure my (over-sized load) flags, plastic cable ties, etc. to it so its handy but out of thew way. Nothing too heavy. Other than drilling holes, anybody used something else that will actually stay, even in the summer heat and winter cold?? Thought about a magnet based "thingy" for the metal box...Appreciate any feedback.
Ralph in OK.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Sticks moulding to cars. I've got a couple of seals stuck in worn hubs with the stuff. The guy at the autoparts store said he got some on a wrench and it's been stuck to the bottom of his toolbox every since.
I recomend you get the black stuff in the large tube,not the thin brown/green stuff in the smaller tube. It's thicker and easier to use.

ohiojim
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there's some really good 2 sided tape out there, watched a show where they were building ambulances and the aluminum floors and walls were put on with it

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dab of JB weld will hold most anything.

flambeauone
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will second the weatherstrip adhesive I have a back window in the cadillac that would fall all the time from the power window being broken. Guy at advance told me to glue it up if I didnt intend to fix it( which I really didnt since no one ever rides back there anyways). That stuff really has held well in the heat and cold I havent had any problems with it.

BigMarv1085
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3M does have some very good products, We use alot of velcro at work and they make a product called 1347, paint it on the velcro and mating surface, let it dry till becomes tacky and mate the 2 surfaces together. Do it right the 1st time cause it will destroy the velcro trying to move or repositon

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hey! now there's a use for silicone. that damm stuff makes me swear everytime i have to remove it from stuff.

big fred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd probably give 3M 5200 sealant a try. Get it at a boat store.

Russel AZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Goop. Available at hardware and home centers. JB weld has it's place, Goop does all the others (not for gasoline)

BobinSD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same question, want to hang come curtains over the side windows of the fiberglass truck cap/camper/topper.

Whatever we use seems to pull off in the cold (-20 or worse is pretty common here).

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

two part epoxy cement.

VernMI

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Contact cement, the real stuff not the low VOC stuff.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem with gluing to aluminum is the metal secretes an oil. It's what turns your hands black handling it. You would have better luck roughening the metal with sandpaper and cleaning it with acetone first. Contact cement or epoxy would make a good adhesive then.

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Glueing things to aluminum and steel toolbox ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hit the aluminum with sandpaper asnd use the adhesive immediately. Aluminum forms an oxide immediately after exposure to air, which will interfere with adhesion.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters