Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scrapple

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed the wine farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like Scrapple [Goetta if you use oats]. On a cold morning is goes with eggs,pancakes or anything you like. Cook 2 lb of bony pork until it falls of the bone. Use the stock [about 4 cups] to make corn meal mush. Chop the pork as fine as you like and add to the mush. I like to add pepper and sage; but, you can add onion, bay or nutmeg. Place the warm mixture into a loaf pan and put in fridg. over night. Slice and fry in oil until brown on both sides. In the old country, it is called ponhass{sp?] The Pa. Dutch use the name Scrapple. If you make this, you know what is in it. If you buy it in a store; well, the stories are true. Good luck, Ed

Ellis Kinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Mother used to make scrapple for breakfast. We always put surup on it. We grew up in Northern Ky. across the river from Cincy. Ellis

larry@stinescorners
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you order it at the diner in pa,the waitress says do you use apple butter or syrup, I like it with apple butter on it

larry@stinescorners
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you order it at the diner in pa,the waitress says do you use apple butter or syrup, I like it with apple butter on it

Craig45
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I love scrapple but it is death on a plate. That stuff will clog your arteries on contact. But you gotta go some how, so I guess I'll just keep eating it.

TomH in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea, homemade and properly cooked is one thing. Store bought and you try not to think about what they put in it (same as any processed meat product though).

My mother used to make corn meal mush and fry it the next day after it set up. Always served with syrup.

international606
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I grew up in midwest never new what scrapple was till I started hanging around PA. I once asked somebody what was in scrapple they replied "what ever is not fit for hot dogs" I still love scrapple. makes me hungery.

EricInSEI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the Cincinnati area you can buy Goetta in the grocery store, packed in a plastic tube just like sausage.

farmeroz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pa. Homemade scrapple, I lived for it when we were butchering. All the left overs went in the iron kettle and cooked over open wood fire. After eveything was picked clean, the meat went through the grinder and back in the kettle to cook once more. Add in your favorites, corn meal, corriander,flour, slat, pepper and some homemade lard, etc. Cook until the mixture stirred as one body. Then it was ready for the feast. I was never afraid to eat it more than once a day. It is a lost art.

Trkr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Love it,my mom used to say,it's made with everthing but the squeal.

Dick
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The first time I ever ate it was with an Amish family in Pa. We had it for breakfast and WOW!! was it good, with fried eggs. I'd never eaten anything like that before and really fell for it.
I found a recipe on the internet and made some a few years ago and it turned out great. I urge anyone to try it and I get you'll like it. It's different but really good, especially for breakfast.
Whatever it's made out of it's good, I used pork butt.
Try it!!
Dick

NW Ohio Tim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrapple Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ate it since I was a kid, made just the way you said. My wife never cared for it until I made it with our whole hog sausage. Now she gets a craving for it as often as I do.

We make a batch about once a month. I always said it was a poor mans bacon.

Tim

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.