Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found While Farming Thru The Years

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's are a few pictures of what we've found thru the years in Illinois while farming and when we use to hoe corn out of the beans. The last picture that I have my finger pointing at a piece that reminds me of an old walking plow.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mu uncle found several stone hammers on his farm about 3 miles from the Red River in ND. Our farm was 8 miles from the river, we only found one stone hammer in all the years that we looked.

We did find a couple of rocks that were hollowed out from grinding some kind of seeds. We were picking rocks at the time and placed them alongside a rock pile; when we went back to get them a few days later they were gone.

Jim/Pa

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very good collection,much nicer than mine.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found a dollar bill.

A love letter from one of my classmates of a few years ago to her boyfriend.

2 pages from a bondage magazine.

a 1/2 an oxen shoe.

--->Paul

bradley martin
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very nice collection, John. I imagine there are likely still a lot of those artifacts lying in fields but we are not as likely to find them as our forebears did walking behind the horses.

Earl-IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My FIL Orville Sommer found arrowheads & hatchet or what ever the one you have dated, just north of Gibson City, IL. a few miles. He has passed away a few yrs ago & we got part of his collection. He told me once, can you believe a Indian was the last one to touched this ,before I found it.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Although there were certainly native peoples in this area, we have little to prove it. My dad found a broken arrowhead, I"ve found nothing, and we, between us ahve held this farm since 1945.

WGWKy2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice collection, I have a collection about like that, picked up on the fields near the Ky. river. Mostly cultivating with a super A and a one row cultivater, now and then when cutting tobacco. We don't see as many now but we have been plowing these fields for a hundred or so years now. A young man found an arrowhead dateing back to the Adena people, much older than the arrowheads that I have found. I guess I just passed them over.

2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I live on a Chickasaw village site. Since no-till planting, don't find so many artifacts. Now find them in cow paths, bank erosion, planting rose bushes in the front yard, etc. Any place there is bare ground. Found several stone hammers but none as polished as that one. Prize find is a stone used as the top stick holder for a bow-and-stick fire starter.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a stone here for the longest time that was shaped kinds like a bullet. About a foot high when you stood it up on end,square at the bottom for about two inches. Sure didn't look like anything natural. Dad set it shallow in a concrete slab one time and it got broke off where it went from square to round.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most of the world's peoples had entered the Bronze Age by about 5000 years ago and the Iron Age about 3000 years ago.
But not in the Americas.
The natives here were still a Neolithic (Stone Age) culture when the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock.
I've always been curious.
Why?

37chief
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thoes are some good finds. Think what you missed. Dad has a few indian grinding bowls, and the stones used to grind corn in them. Indian rocks' or arrow heads are death to building ccntractors. If found on the sight it involves a search by archaeologists to catalog all finds The contractor pays all the time spent until everything is found. You don't even want to find a bone. Stan

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be tough to be a building contractor and have workers who couldn't keep quiet.

Pair-a-dice farm
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those are some very nice pieces. There's a lot to be said for looking down at your feet. After a good rain there is a lot that can be found if one will just take the time to look. Here is a small part of what my grandfather found on the Mississippi county farm. He gave most of it to Arkansas State University and the University of Arkansas archeology department did a dig on the farm.

Berth 29 opinions
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Found While Farming Thru The Years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In Europe and Asia you had different groups who were constantly working to find better ways to do things so they would be more advanced then their neighbors. There was some metalworking going on in the Americas, for example Aztec gold, but not for major use.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.