Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning up an oily brake band

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad in WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Cleaning up an oily brake band Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a newer set of after market brake bands for my H that are all soaked with oil and old grease. The bands have alot of pad left but with the amount of oil in them they do not work as well as they should. I have replaced all the leaky seals and now I am wondering what will be the best way to make the bands useable again. I was told that taking a torch (Oxy/Acetyline) to them will work but will remove some of the pad. I am just looking for other ideas to keep my brakes working the best they can. Thanks
Brad

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up an oily brake band Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just spray them with brake-kleen. takes all the oil off, and that's what the stuff is for.

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up an oily brake band Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have heard some say that it can't be done satisfactorily. But I had a wheel cylinder leak on the shoes on a car I had and I removed the shoes and sprayed them down with brake cleaner three or four times, wiped it off each time and then used a propane torch to heat it. An acetylene torch gets a lot hotter than a hand held propane torch. I heated it and you could see it drying out. It may not have been perfect, but it kept me from buying another set of rear shoes.

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up an oily brake band Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brake cleaner or a torch to burn it off.

I've done it both ways and like the torch better. Torch is much
easier to see results.

I never lost any of the pad. Whoever told you that must have really
cooked it.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up an oily brake band Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the linning i good i sandbladst them. It has worked well for me.

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up an oily brake band Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DON"T use a oxy / acet. torch. Use a propane soldering torch. I have done this a couple of times and it has worked for me.

1.) spray them a couple of times with brake clean. Let them dry well.
2.) Using a propane torch, start working slowly back and forth on the lining. The oil will start to cook off, and it will catch fire. take your time, letting the band and lining cool a bit every so often. Important thing here is to not let the lining or the band overheat. do this in a VERY well ventilated area.
3.) When the bands are oil free and cool, take about 80 grit emery paper and scuff them. Sand blasting can work as well. this will remove the glaze and carbon.
4.) rinse one last time with brake clean to remove any leftover grit or sand.

Install, and wear the BIG SMILE well that you salvaged a perfectly good set of brake bands, and left more of the play money in your wallet for other things.

Badger bob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up an oily brake band Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yup genes right sand blast the they will like like new. Bob

cchigg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up an oily brake band Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I washed my bands down 3 or 4 times with break clean and
after put them in a bucket of oil dry over night. Came out
like new. A little sanding and back on.Worked for me.

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up an oily brake band Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Slow, even heating of the lining works best.

Use lazy flame from a propane torch - NOT an oxy/actylene torch! Heat the lining evenly (including the steel band backing) to "sweat out" and burn off the oil.

Continue heating for a few minutes after the burning/smoking stops. Then after the lining cools, finish up with sandpaper to remove any glaze.

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up an oily brake band Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One note to all (something to consider), remember, the brake lining is porous and soaked/saturated with oil. Brake clean will take off the outer most oil, but it will not remove the saturated parts in the middle of the brake lining. Heat is the only thing that will remove ALL oil. it must be cooked out.

Also, even heat and NOT too hot. Get it hot enough for the oil to start smoking and catch fire. this process is NOT a fast one. Last set I did took me about 30 mins +/- each one. However, salvaging what is otherwise a good set of brake bands is worth the effort in my opinion. The new replacement ones just don't fit right from what I can tell.

If I ever have to replace a set, I will use the original bands, and have them professionally religned at a truck brake shop not too far from me. Some things I can do, others I am happy to have done. A man's gotta know his limitations........and I don't often feel lucky on certain things.

as always, IMHO.

Last edited by Tom Fleming on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.