Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

420 slant steer with swept back front?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FactoryFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: 420 slant steer with swept back front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I came across a 420 ss with a swept back front end, kinda odd for me because I always thought those didn't come out till the 30 series.

Were there many 420s with that front end?[/i]

OhioTractorGuy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 420 slant steer with swept back front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is my understanding the swept back front became an option on the late 430W (1960?) Tractors. Probably as a precursor to a similar axle used on the 1010 Tractors. You could also get the swept back axle on the late 435 Tractors.
It is possible a swept back could have been swapped onto a 420; I have seen a couple with them. Not long ago a fella had a pair of 420 Tractors listed for sale with swept back front ends (down south, Alabama? Mississippi?). One was a "W" and the other was a "T;" I dont know that the swept back option was ever correct/used on a T Tractor. The key piece to make sure it is correct for a 430/420 tractor is the bolster (cast piece that bolts to the engine block). It is different than the standard axle bolster to account for tighter turning radius/clearance for the tie rods. A later 420/430 parts book shows the bolster / swept back axle pieces for a W Tractor.
I put a swept back front axle on one of my 430W tractors. . . I think it looks more appealing vs. the straight axle.

FactoryFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 420 slant steer with swept back front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OhioTractorGuy wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:09:17 01/26/13) It is my understanding the swept back front became an option on the late 430W (1960?) Tractors. Probably as a precursor to a similar axle used on the 1010 Tractors. You could also get the swept back axle on the late 435 Tractors.
It is possible a swept back could have been swapped onto a 420; I have seen a couple with them. Not long ago a fella had a pair of 420 Tractors listed for sale with swept back front ends (down south, Alabama? Mississippi?). One was a "W" and the other was a "T;" I dont know that the swept back option was ever correct/used on a T Tractor. The key piece to make sure it is correct for a 430/420 tractor is the bolster (cast piece that bolts to the engine block). It is different than the standard axle bolster to account for tighter turning radius/clearance for the tie rods. A later 420/430 parts book shows the bolster / swept back axle pieces for a W Tractor.
I put a swept back front axle on one of my 430W tractors. . . I think it looks more appealing vs. the straight axle.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

So then I take it a 420 its just a cobbled up mess with a swept back front end?

OhioTractorGuy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 420 slant steer with swept back front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Id have no problem owning a 420W with a nice factory correct swept back front end. . . who knows what the dealer did to his tractors 40-50 years ago to appeal to customers.
Personally I like to build my tractors as I would have ordered them back in the day but I only use the options/parts that would have been available at the time -- this way any correct police can unbolt the parts and have no trouble making it the way they want it after Im gone.
Id be less interested if someone swapped the standard straight front with one from a 1010 or if it is obvious the tractor has a variety of "cobbled" parts on it.

JDG
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 420 slant steer with swept back front? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know what a 420ss is. But the swept - back adjustable front axle was available for 420 row-crop tractors. Part # AT 11750T

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.