Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

siezed clutch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my 140, I just got the motor back together. I bought this tractor not running. The clutch is adjusted all the way out. When Ipress the pedal in, the clutch does not disengage. Is it siezed?

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, the clutch disk could be rusted (stuck) tot he fly wheel. Are you doing an "in tractor" job on the engine? I would think so, since you would have to remove the clutch (or at least see it) with the engine removed. Remove the lower inspection plate to see what is going on if you have not removed the engine. You should have approx 3/4" - 1" free travel in the clutch pedal to be correctly set.

Need more info.

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What info would you like? Im not sure.... its a 140, and when I hit the clutch pedal the clutch wont disengage....

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

are you doing an "in tractor" rebuild on the engine? Have you inspected the clutch?

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, I see on your other post about the engine, that this was an in-tractor rebuild.

REmove the clutch inspection cover, and see if the clutch disc moves when the clutch is engaged vs. di-engaged. If this had been sitting for awhile, the disc can rust to the flywheel. The splines can also become rusted.

Best technique to free up a stuck clutch disk (if it isn't too too badly rusted) is to start the old girl up in first gear and with the clutch pushed in, firmly tap the brakes to free it up while running (moving). There are other ways too that are a little more agressive, that I am not a fan of. this of course assumes you have good brakes.

ken house
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i assume that the engine will run. if you have wide open space available and a hill, get the tractor on the hill, heading downwards; get on the tractor, put the tractor in 3rd gear and start it. drive around with your foot pressing the clutch pedal. maybe it will come loose. throttle the tractor up and down, press the brake pedals and then release them. be careful doing this, make sure you have plenty of space.

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

and make sure BOTH brake peddles are locked together...........

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only other option is to split the tractor and remove the clutch to get it freed up.

Just make sure the transmission is in NEUTRAL when you start fiddling with the engine to finally get it running.

Oldiron29
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretend, If your clutch is stuck and spinning tranny and you have real cold gear oil you could have found why you engine is cranking slow.
oldiron29

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You may need to split the tractor. Hal

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok, we all need to slow down. Myself included.

Pretend Farmer: take a minute, and remove the clutch inspection plate. Get a 2nd person to help you with the next step. You will need a flash light.

Have someone work the clutch while you look inside the inspection hole (actually the throwout lube access hole). It is not very big, so not alot to see. However, you should be able to see the overall condition of the pressure plate and disk. you can then watch as the helper works the clutch. You should be able to see whether or not the disk is rusted and not moving.

Before we go down many different, and potentially correct suggestions, let's start with the simple ones, and get progressively deeper up to and including a split of the tractor.....which is a definite possibility. I am not at all familiar with the 140, but I am assuming it has the small opening for greasing the throwout, which might give enough line of sight to tell if the disc is frozen to the fly wheel or not. I may be wrong, as I said, I am not familiar with anything newer than an A, B, or C.

Dennis K (WA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: siezed clutch? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it has an inspection cover, grease access, hole like the older models;
With engine off and another person holding the clutch pedal down, go through the hole with a punch to the hub of the clutch plate and rap it hard with a hammer. Unless it is severely stuck it will free itself.
Another possibility is the pilot bushing in the flywheel, but not as likely.
Dennis

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.