Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

E85 farmall s love it period!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnny2006
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve been running e85 in everything I own. I also only use pure synthitic oil. I don"t care if 35$ a gal oil leaks out of my tractors. They will make more.... I wish I could use 100 percent alcohol. I hate giving my money to people who want to kill us. I don"t see the army gaurding corn fields. Any one who says e85 cant be ran in non alcohol cars made after 1990 haven"t tried it. I see more lng stations at truck stops that"s the way to go. Until LNG is readily avable e85 is what we all should use. Or at least fill your tank with e50. Any one who says its a bad Idea has not tried it. Give me your thoughts. Bad or good chime in!

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Uh, 2 comments: Shocked

1.) Older letter and F series engines will burn darn near anything you throw at them. adjustments to carb and timing appropriate to the octane rating. Ethanol disolves old gaskets and fuel pump diaphrams. Period.

2.) I am running for the hills. This topic historically has produced massive arguments and hurt feelings. Over a year ago, I added E85 to the list of topics not to be discussed along with religion and politics.

Send me post card and tell me how this works out for you........ Wink

PS: I also run away from which spark plug is the best. Which brand of oil is the best. And lastly, are there really aliens at Roswell............ (we settled "does the Pope crap in the woods" about 2 years ago)

Last edited by Tom Fleming on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
John G. Hasler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> Ethanol disolves old gaskets and fuel pump diaphrams.

Chemists disagree. Evidence?

CenTex Farmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only thing I've found in Roswell is a bunch of parked aircraft. Big ones.

CenTex Farmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I too wish they would sell 100% Ethanol and quit mixing up concoctions of stuff that doesn't work great in anything. Let alcohol run on it's own merit. If it really is great then it will be succesful. I agree LNG has potential if they get the filling stations worked out. But then propane never really caught on.

I would like to see a closed loop farming operation where every single piece of equipment used in corn production runs on pure ethanol made from the previous year's crop and then see how much surplus comes off every year for sale.

robgIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ethanol is a solvent, it may not disolve old gaskets but it will damage certain materials. I'm not out to bash ethanol, but it's not for everything. It will damage rubber fuel lines, o-rings and other things . And if your vehicle is not a flex fuel approved unit, it can ruin injectors.An old tractor with metal tank, lines and carb will probably be ok with it under most circumstances, but 100% ethanol is very hard to ignite in an engine in cold temps, thats why they put 15% gas. You also need approximately 20 percent more ethanol than gas to achieve the same stoichiometric mixture so if you are working it really hard without richening the fuel mixture you are asking for trouble.This subject could go on and on, but about the pros and cons of ethanol, but I will just say there are both....

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, on the older diaphrams, ie. 40's, 50's, and 60's, the rubber compounds were not designed for ethanol. Newer stuff, absolutely no problem. Older stuff turns to jelly. I'll make you a deal. I have 2 NOS F12/F14 fuel pumps on the shelf. I'll send one to you free of charge. Install it on your F-12 and put E85 in it. Tell me how that works out for you.

New stuff, fine. Pre 1990's, crap shoot. Look up solvents for butyl rubber, vs neoprene, vs silcone, etc. to be absolutely fair to your challenge, I should have qualified my statement for older, pre 1990 carb gaskets and fuel pump diaphrams.

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A walk down memory lane:

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?p=2848508&highlight=#2848508

We are headed down the same path..............................Car's warmed up, headed for the hills now.

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as I am walking out the door. For those of you old enough to remember Dry Gas, it was Methanol or Isopropyl. Never ethanol.........there was a reason. de-natured alcohol is one of the strongest solvents available, only surpass by MEK and Carbon Tet. both of the latter removed from the market due to carcinogenic properties.

Man if you needed to clean a carb, carbon tetrachloride couldn't be beat. MEK rocked as well.

WOpp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How about running it all on soybean bio diesel. Your engines will love it and no modifications would be needed,. Diesels love vegtable oil

randy hall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom Fleming wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:19:30 01/27/13) Uh, 2 comments: Shocked

1.) Older letter and F series engines will burn darn near anything you throw at them. adjustments to carb and timing appropriate to the octane rating. Ethanol disolves old gaskets and fuel pump diaphrams. Period.

2.) I am running for the hills. This topic historically has produced massive arguments and hurt feelings. Over a year ago, I added E85 to the list of topics not to be discussed along with religion and politics.

Send me post card and tell me how this works out for you........ Wink

PS: I also run away from which spark plug is the best. Which brand of oil is the best. And lastly, are there really aliens at Roswell............ (we settled "does the Pope crap in the woods" about 2 years ago)
the aliens from roswell are at wright patterson air force base in dayton ohio.

John G. Hasler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> Look up solvents for butyl rubber, vs neoprene, vs silcone

Gasoline attacks butyl rubber (developed in 1937) as well as natural rubber. Thus neither would have been used in a gasoline fuel system. Neither gasoline nor ethanol attack neoprene (developed in 1930). I"m fairly sure that before neoprene became available gasoline fuel systems were metal and glass with possibly some paper gaskets.

John G. Hasler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> Look up solvents for butyl rubber, vs neoprene, vs silcone

Gasoline attacks butyl rubber (developed in 1937) as well as natural rubber. Thus neither would have been used in a gasoline fuel system. Neither gasoline nor ethanol attack neoprene (developed in 1930). I"m fairly sure that before neoprene became available gasoline fuel systems were metal and glass with possibly some paper gaskets.

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it was 100% would we not be drinking it?

36F30
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: E85 farmall s love it period! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Duner Wi wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:08:28 01/26/13) If it was 100% would we not be drinking it?
Yup, they are required to add white gas at the Ethanol Plant otherwise they would be a distillery making corn whisky.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters