Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7.3 navastar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RalphWD45
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: 7.3 navastar Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got took 2 yr's ago on the purchase of a 90 ford 350 superduty flatbed, with a 7.3 navastar, and zf 5spd tranny. My diesel runs good, but pours smoke out behind it, and has poor compression, 200 and change. I found an 86 7.3 bolted to a allison, that is reputed to run well, and no smoke, $900.00 for the pair, or 600 for the motor. Will my fresh rebuilt ZF 5 spd manual bolt on without problems, or will I find that the crank on an automatic is not drilled to take a pilot bearing, simular as to what dodge did with the 318? I don't know diddily about Fords, or diesels!

justanothercase
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.3 navastar Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From my limited knowledge you should have everything you need. 7.3 is a fleet motor used in many different applications and im not aware of different cranks for auto trans.is this out of a bus? I ask because of the allison behind it. good luck to you.

onefarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 7.3 navastar Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A '90 7.3 and a '86 are two different animals. The 86 is indirect injection, has a injector pump and not much if any electronic controls. The 90 is a powerstroke direct injection, no pump, turbo, and the injectors are fired by electric over hydraulics.

GarrettFields
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 7.3 navastar Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Onefarmer is on crack. The Powerstroke didnt come out in pickups until 1994.5 You should be fine I used a 7.3 out of a Frito-Lay truck with a allison and put it in my 5 speed 92 F350 that had cavitation issues.

nickg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 7.3 navastar Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An 86 model should be a 6.9 not a 7.3. At least thats what my 86 f-250 diesel is. As for smoking all those 6.9 and naturally asperated 7.3s smoke. Not much difference in a 6.9 and a 7.3. At any rate Im fairly certain it should be drilled for a pilot bushing but Id ask the guy if he would be willing to let you or himself pull them apart to see before you comit to buying it.

onefarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 7.3 navastar Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OOOOOPPs I was thinking wrong sorry. You're right the powerstoke didn't come out until 94.5. Must have been a senior moment.

GarrettFields
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 7.3 navastar Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It happens! My response didnt come off as light hearted on the computer as it did in my head. Don't want to sound like a pr!ck of misery, you may have the answer to a million $ question I have someday!

RalphWD45
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.3 navastar Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want to thank you four guys, that answered me! I have done a lot of motor swapping with gas rigs, but know nothing about the diesel rigs,and my experence has been confined to 1980 and older.I still run a 75 dodge 3/4 ton and 80 ford 1/2 ton, and have had them since they were low miles, used rigs. I need the 90 ford 350, to tow my tractor, hay, hauling trailer, as it is heavier and a duelly, and won't get pushed around by the trailer! THANKS GUYS!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.