Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Longest battery life you ever got?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmallRay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a new Kubota tractor back in 2002. It still sports the original battery after 11 years. Im in NW Pa were we see alot of different weather conditions. Im not sure of the brand but just surprised how good its holding up. It may set weeks at a time between starts and no trouble with it. (knock on wood) Hope this doesnt jinkz it..haha

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has to be the battery in my camper.
10 1/2 years
I bought the camper spring of 02 and put a new deep cycle battery in it then.
Camper/battery sits unused every winter from the middle of November till the end of April.
This year during deer season I noticed there wasn't much life left in the battery so I pulled it out on the last day and will replace it this spring. Didn't want to ruin the expensive inverter/charger in the camper from it trying to charge a bad battery.

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Still on the 13 year old original equipment battery in my 2000 F-150 that I bought new in Jan of 2000. She sits a lot, weeks at a time, and has started every time so far!
Probably just jinks it now though...LOL!

Erik Ks farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

7 years in my Ranger pickup, it would have made it longer, it wasn't bad the starter was.

Dan Nelson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got 9 full years from a Ford battery in a 1972 F100 that I bought new and drove daily for 23 years. In that time, outside of batteries oil filters tires plugs and points spent less that $1000 on actual repairs. Would really like to find another new one that good. Not sure that exists anymore.

Bill(Wis)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Kubota M6800 was mfg in July of 2001. I took delivery on 2 Oct, 2001. The original battery is still in the tractor and performing as well as a new one. Never had a bit of trouble with it. I do employ a battery disconnect and when starting in very cold weather I boost it. It'll be 12 years old this year.

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My orginal batteries in the 1978 IH 1086 lasted 14 years. These batteries had the IH logo on them but I"m sure they were made by someone else. I asked the dealer for them same batteries to replace them. I was told they no longer made that battery and if they did they would be high priced. I said it would be worth it if they last 14 years.

Replacments only lasted about 6 years or so.

Dads orginal batteries in his 1979 986 lasted 15 years as well. Same batteries as mine.

Gary

OliverGuy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We've had sub 60 hp kubotas at work, five of them between Dad and me. Never changed a battery. Current one is 8 yrs old and around 2000 hours. Whoever makes them does a great job.

moresmoke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got an Intestate on my Moline puller that is almost 12 now. Last summer I was at a pull and it wouldn't start. Thought it must be the battery, because I knew it was old. Got to checking, and it was the ground cable, so the battery keeps on.

cole in mo.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never got much life out of a tractor battery, but I bought a new dodge 1500 in april of 2001, the battery was a delco, it died two weeks ago.

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I rebuilt the pony in my 730 D SE in 2002. The battery came from one of the national chains. I converted it to 12 volt.
That battery still starts the pony after almost 13 years.
By the way, it has one of those "bad" generators, not an alternator. LOL

Daryl in PA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My father has a '02 t-bird with the original Motorcraft still in it. Car has less than 10,000 miles.

Sprint 6
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The battery in my Super 55 came out of a car I bought for scrap in 2000. Have no idea of its actual age. I just removed the original battery from a customers' 99 Ranger 2 months ago, that is my oldest replacement at my shop.

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Batteries in general have gotten better. I have been selling KUBOTAs since 1979. The japan made batteries are heavier and seem to last pretty good. Have had folks make it over 15 years. Have had folks that would go with a domestic battery on replacement because of cost only to go back to the original in a few years. Batteries are a lot like other things , lot depends on use and how one takes care of them. I have a 80 hp M series here on the farm that cam here in 1999 and it still has the original battery. Probably about had it because we do now have to charge it ever now and then.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Longest battery life you ever got? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My longest have been around 8. Things that help longevitey are keep them in a relatively good charged state i.e. avoid long set times low ESPECIALLY in freezing temps, keep electrolyte above plates, avoid often very low discharges.

John T

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.