Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waterpump adj questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Waterpump adj questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adjusted the packing nut on the old pump to no avail. Figured it was worn out, so we put a new one on. Have the same problem with it. no matter what we do it's leaks coolant. Pumped in plenty of grease, turned the nut in till there was no adjustment left.

What did we do wrong?

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpump adj questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what are you working on?
put a new what on?... new nut? new pump?

if your turning the nut till no adjustment left then your packing is worn out. needs new packing.

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpump adj questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rustred wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:14:16 01/27/13) what are you working on?
put a new what on?... new nut? new pump?

if your turning the nut till no adjustment left then your packing is worn out. needs new packing.

We put a new waterpump on a 450. Packing shouldn't be wornout on a new pump.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpump adj questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It shouldn't but it can. I put a new one on a Super H, it leaked, not much but a constant drip. I put in more packing, it still leaked. I replaced the IH packing with a rope from NAPA, still dripped. I gave up and it eventually stopped. You don't want to tighten it all the way, then everything is compressed and it will leak. Mine is currently ok, don't know for how long. Made in Asia, it should be expected, probably best to rebuild the old one.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpump adj questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tell you what. I repaired a ton of those water pumps years ago and don't recall any particular problems. I rebuilt my own when I went through my H's and M in the last few years and have had problems with them seeping. Added more IH packing, tightened them all, still want to seep some times. Bushings were either good or replaced, shaft was nice and smooth. I don't know if the packing is different material or what. I do know it used to come in one lone chunk but doesn't now days.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Waterpump adj questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pete, Yours is like the problem I had, new pump or old, both did the same thing.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.