Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oxygen Bottle Replacement

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
super99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just wondering, do you use your torch until the oxygen bottle is totally empty, or do you replace it when the guage reads 0? I finished heating some parts to disassemble the other day, and the guage for the high pressure reads 0, but the low pressure guage still has a reading. I know it won't run very long this way, If I start on something bigger, I know it will run out, but I could get a couple of little jobs out of it yet. I will probably run it clear empty before picking up another bottle after work. Just wondering what you all do. Chris

Ted in NE-OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Always return bottle with at least 15 psi.

USAonly

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I own four tanks---two argon-two oxygen-problem solved!

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why? If you run out, you run out. Oxygen not a big deal but with some cylinders, especially shielding gas, you don't want to run out in the middle of a weld. Usually on shielding gas cylinders you replace them when the pressure is below 100 PSI. There are some cylinders that say on them to leave at least 25 PSI in. I think it's so they don't get contaminated but the proper procedure for filling cylinders, especially argon, is to purge the cylinder before filling it so you are guaranteed 100% pure argon. It is very noticeable when welding aluminum if you have dirty argon. Sometimes the guy filling it is in a hurry or too lazy to purge the cylinders. Cylinders are also routinely switched from one type of gas to another.

GeneMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you inhale a big lungfull of Argon does it make you talk like Donald Duck?

Gene

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No it could kill you instead. Argon is an inert gas meaning it will displace oxygen.

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I paid for a all the argon, gas or oxygen that is in a bottle.

So I use it all.

Like I'm gonna ever get back a bottle that I returned again so why worry about leaving some in it.

Gary

Ken-Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 Oxygen bottles & 2 Accetelyne bottles + 1 Argon . I asked my AIRCO supplier that question & he said I paid for a full bottle so use it all , why waste any . So, empty the bottles because when I return them, the dock guy right away opens the valve himself & blows it out anyhow . The company demands he returns a completely empty bottle for refilling . Also I learned that whenever using Oxy or Accety or Argon , the valves must be opened completely because the seals don"t accually seal off if not turned completely opened or closed . Before, I was concerned about smelling fuel when I was using my torches & mig ; so that"s why . HTH ! God bless , Ken

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

High pressure cylinders are supposed to be fully opened to seat properly but ACETYLENE SHOULD NEVER BE OPENED MORE THAN 1 1/2 TURNS!!! YES, I'M YELLING! That's O/A safety 101! It sounds like your supplier isn't too sure about things. The Airco gas business was bought out by BOC several years ago and the company is called Linde. Cylinders should be bled off in a controlled environment, not at the dock of the welding supply. Having a little pressure in the cylinder is a good thing.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Inert means it's chemically inactive and doesn't have any chemical reactions. CO2 on the other hand isn't an inert gas. Argon is heavier than air and can fill up in your lungs. TIG welders working in closed spaces will stand on their head after finishing welding to let the argon out of their system.

rabbit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's helium!

Ken-Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well since you YELLED AT ME ,I'll just yell rite back . I ONLY STATED WHAT MY SUPPLIER TOLD ME . But I will definitely confront him again about it . I never heard that Airco sold out to Linde . My shop account is under the Airco name & payments go to Airco .But now I'm curious . If I don't forget when I go out for another refill , I'll ask him that also . I do know ever since this guy started running this supply store , he's layed off , & fired people . Now he himself manages the business & does counter sales , & dock work by himself .When he gets busy , it takes more time to get my counter business done & to get out of there . This guy was originally with GOSS Gas , another local supplier run by his brother who surprisingly has the last name of GOSS . They said he got tossed out due to his self centered method of running the family business . So apparantly that statement was true . I have troubles with a Know-It-All myself . So I just accept some of what he says . God bless, Ken

torch guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stick welding is correct. The oxygen/shielding gas cylinders have double seat valves that seals on top and bottom. I have 6 oxys, 3 acetylene, 1 argon, 2 75/25s, 1 90/10, and a 100 lbs of propane. I generally remove my cylinders from service when my high pressure the same as my working pressure.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was intending to yell at you Ken, just in general so one else follows this practice because the first thing you learn in O/A safety is to never open the acetylene very far in case you have to shut it off in a hurry. If your cylinder uses a key always leave it in place for this purpose. Yelling at your supplier for giving you this wrong info about acetylene might be in order though. It wasn't just wrong info, it was dangerously wrong. Your welding supply could be called Airco and have nothing to do with the old Airco brand name/trademark. Airco was very big in O/A and formed a division that originated many cutting machines, including the Radiagraph, Camograph and pipe cutting machines. They also held the first patents and introduced MIG welding in 1948.

Ken-Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxygen Bottle Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will definitely mention it to the guy at Airco next time out . I appreciate the info . I'm definitely not what you'd call a welder but do enjoy the challenge & experience learned . I'm only a hobbiest doing my own repairs . I definitely don't profess being a know it all . I'm enjoying plus wanting to learn & I do learn new things daily . God bless , Ken

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.