Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Releasing the clutch on a burned tractor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Kastens
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Releasing the clutch on a burned tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone have any ideas how I can release the clutch on a number of tractors which were parked in gear when a tragic fire swept through my property? All the tires were burned off and the clutch levers are locked. When I hooked up the winch to pull the John Deere BR tractor on the trailer, the only movement was the trailer and pickup toward the tractor. The same happened with a Minneapolis-Moline UT.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Releasing the clutch on a burned tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the JD you should be able to pull the clutch cover and then remove the hold down bolts so as to release the parts. On the MM RTU well that is a whole lot harder since if I remember right that is an over center type but would have to go out and look at the RTU I have to be sure and also to know how to help you for sure

Larry Kastens
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Releasing the clutch on a burned tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the information on the John Deere. The MM is a 1939 UT, approximately 48 horsepower.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Releasing the clutch on a burned tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go by memory but you should be able to pull the side plate and then reach in and if nothing else remove the pressure plate bolts on that MM so you can at least roll it

Greenday
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Releasing the clutch on a burned tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you put the transmissions in neutral it should roll any way. Are sure its not the brakes that are stuck?

Larry Kastens
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Releasing the clutch on a burned tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that the clutch lever can not be moved to place it in neutral. All I can say is that it would have been wiser, on my part, if all the tractors were in neutral, when the forest fire came.

It is estimated that the temperature reached nearly 3,000 degrees as some cast iron wheels melted and the front axle on the MM U bent.

Husker44A
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Releasing the clutch on a burned tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry where are you located at?

Larry Kastens
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Releasing the clutch on a burned tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am located in Ash Canyon, 12 miles south of Sierra Vista, Arizona.

My kids said I should downsize. Well, the forest fire downsized me in one afternoon. It is OK as I now get to start over.

You are probably in Nebraska according to your handle. I grew up in northwest Kansas.

Husker44A
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Releasing the clutch on a burned tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I'm in western Nebraska. We had some nasty forest fires this past summer. I was involved in fighting it. Local Volume. Fire Dept. Seen some wild things happen. Seen a few barns that have been standing for a very long time go up in flames. A few had old cars and tractors / machinery in them. Thaught that you might be from around here.. Sorry for the loss of your barn and tractors.

Greenday
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Releasing the clutch on a burned tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Holy cow Larry thats really Hot!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.