Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Onan V-Twin Gasoline to Propane Conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArkanDan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Onan V-Twin Gasoline to Propane Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got a Hobart Champion 10k Welder/Generator with an Onan OHV 20 HP V-Twin motor.
Wanting to convert it from gasoline to propane and would appreciate any legitimate advice
for making this happen. They've got kits, but seems they have to do the mating of
parts by what information you give them by actually measuring and or sending pictures.
Maybe there's a less expensive way of doing it without compromising on safety? Would
like for it to shut the flow of fuel off automatically if the engine were to shut down unexpectedly. Would have to be something that would function like the float in a gasoline carburetor? How do you know if you're dealing with a gas or liquid? Just some questions I have whether I mess with this thing or not.

Frank (N.Mi.)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Onan V-Twin Gasoline to Propane Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you go to you tube and search "demand regulator for propane" they have some info about them. Also a few conversions people have done.

timcasbolt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Onan V-Twin Gasoline to Propane Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I did my Onan 4000, I went to these guys: http://www.propanecarbs.com/

Very helpful, and sold me everything I needed. It was a very straightforward conversion that worked perfectly.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Onan V-Twin Gasoline to Propane Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The conversion is not that hard to do. There are bolt on kits out there. Go to the site timcasbolt posted. They will need to know what engine you have. Full model and serial number.

You will be dealing with a vapor system. Liquid withdrawal systems are mostly used on Water cooled engines. Because you need a special vaporizer to turn the liquid to vapor. They do use them on air cooled engines. But not that common.

To shut the fuel off. You can buy a solenoid that will shut off the fuel when the engine shuts down.The folks at the carb company can explain it all to you.

If you need more help. Check out smokstak.com Onan section. Plenty of guys over there that have done the conversion. They are all willing to answer any questions you have.

Onan tech since 1980

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Onan V-Twin Gasoline to Propane Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

heres a link to a company that I have bought several kits from. Bill
another company that sells kits

CH(upstate,NY)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Onan V-Twin Gasoline to Propane Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I converted my Emerald series (the commercial one that's made for utility trucks) I used the power from the electric fuel pump to power the vapor shut off solinoid. I bought the conversion from Cummins, took less than a half hour to complete.

Owen Aaland
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Onan V-Twin Gasoline to Propane Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The fuel shut off can be either electrical or vacuum operated. Electric ones can be controlled by either an oil pressure switch or alternator charging sensing wire. Vacuum operated one operate from manifold vacuum.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.