Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cuting fluid

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Pete

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone have a recipe or idea for cutting fluid? Been using Liquid Wrench or WD-40 for drilling holes in steel lately and it is ok but thought there might be something better. Used to use Mistic Metal Mover but lately it has gotten so expensive. Thanks

Bradracer18
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We use Cool Tool II. Works Well. Not sure of the price

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Pete.

I have been using atf for drilling and cutting metal.

Seems to work as good or better than the genuine stuff. I just use whatever is in the shop and put it in a bottle with the cone tip.

Good luck,

Brad

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why not try used motor oil? Been doing that a long time.

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of options out there, pipe threading oil from the plumbing store is good. Then there is soluble oils. Different mists. Get a machinery catalog like travers or enco.

Ellis Kinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tap Magic for steel, Lard for cast iron. Motor oil is not the answer, Think about what motor oil is supposed to do. Ellis

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use tread cutting oil when I cut metal comes in a can with a spout so you can drip it on. If I do not have that I use used motor oil

Tom-NoCenTX

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brownell's DewDrill.
tom

Eric in IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The main idea when drilling steel is to keep the tool cool.

There is nothing better than water for this job.

Water soluble oil is added to keep the drill press and workpiece from rusting and provide limited lubricity.

We used WS 5050 from Rustlick at the tool & die shop. Mix at 25 parts water to one part WS 5050 or to suit your preferences.
Rustlick WS 5050

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might be looking for this.

You can use a machine oil, chlorine, and sulfur.
When I first started doing machine work in the early 1960's it was what we used. I never made it myself so don't know the amounts. They melted the sulfur in a tin can and added it to the mixture.

The one below would be an easy one to mix up.

Things You'll Need

1 qt. of motor oil

3 cups of dish washing liquid

4 gallons of water

Instructions

Purchase the necessary products. Motor oil can be found at your local gas station and dish washing liquid at convenience stores and supermarkets.

Add the liquid soap to the water. Mix the soap into the water so that it is dissolved. The soap is the catalyst that will enable the oil and the water to mix; otherwise the different densities will make the oil float on top of the water.

Pour in the motor oil. Make sure that the water and the oil are mixed properly together with no separation. The water will act as a coolant in the cutting oil, while the oil acts as the lubricant, as the water is evaporated off by the heat generated in the cutting process.

Read more: How to Make Cutting Oil eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6860630_make-cutting-oil.html#ixzz2JJtO8LcW

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Slow cutting, water is what the old timers say to use.

wd9garymn

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

for tapping holes i use regular vegetable oil from the grocery store. haven't tried it for drilling holes--guess i don't drill a lot of holes on the drill press

D beatty
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use thread cutting oil.My uncle used a water based solution in his tool and die shop.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had been using a chain and cable spray for oiling the baler chains, when one day I finally read what was printed on the label. Said it could be used for drilling and tapping. Tried it and it works as good as Tap Magic. Don't remember the name.

ralph1111
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuting fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dosen't any one use chain saw bar oil?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.