Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Touch control overhaul

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Remmert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They got my seal kit in for the touch control on Thursday. Everything you see in the picture all said and done was $119.47. Did not think that was to bad. All the o-rings have a white dot on them so you know they are facing out when installed. The o-ring on the plug for the pressure relief valve was eaten almost in too. It has been leaking for awhile. When this valve does release high pressure, it dumps it back in the bottom of the case in the oil reservoir. That in turn is pressurizing the entire case. I see why there are so many bolts in the top and bottom covers. I don't see a vent of any kind in the case. The only leak I had was one of the spool valves had the o-ring blow out of it. I know why now. I am thinking about putting a vent in the top cover to stop that from happening again.

Farmallhal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you should forget about putting a vent hole somewhere in the unit. Where pressure can escape contaminates or moisture will also have an entry point neither of which should be in the system. I believe if a vent was required one would of been provided by the engineers who designed the system and unit. If you don't over fill the unit above the proper level (1/2" below the bottom of the fill plug hole) there is probably sufficient room for any expansion due to pressure and heat which might build up during use. Good luck but you should find your unit works correctly after being cleaned and new o-rings and seals installed, Hal.

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No you don't want to vent it.
Most impotant is to clean everything twice and then clean it again. BTDT

Joshua Rod
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a touch control overhaul manual and it says that it is a nonvented system.

IH fan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know about in this instance, but a colored dot on o-rings usually means the material it's made from and it's durometer or hardness. Been a few years (20 +) since I dealt with them and I don't remember the code any more.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The system is not supposed to be vented.

There is so little air space in the system, that you can't put a vent where oil won't leak/squirt out. It'll be a mess.

The reason it blew out the o-rings is because they're OLD, not because of some flaw in the system. New o-rings and it'll be fine for another 50 years.

IH fan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you were to mount a loader on the C and use the factory pump, you can vent it. However to vent it and use a loader you need more capacity, so you can add a 45 degree fitting and extend a reservoir above the fill hole, then it needs to be vented. Otherwise it should not be vented.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A "how to" on this would be awesome!! I have several Super A and 140 TC units that I would like to rebuild, but am just initimidated to do so,

Dennis K (WA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Touch control manual-- GSS-1024
Binderbooks has them
Dennis

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree on the dot markings meaning material etc. Some special S-treated o-rings used by IH even had the part number on them.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dennis K (WA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:57:19 01/29/13) Touch control manual-- GSS-1024
Binderbooks has them
Dennis

Thanks for the heads up! How is that manual? Easy to follow? Thorough? I've heard that some of the directions aren't that good....didn't know about the Blue Ribbon Manual though.

Dennis K (WA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RTR wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:45:14 01/29/13)
Dennis K (WA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:57:19 01/29/13) Touch control manual-- GSS-1024
Binderbooks has them
Dennis

Thanks for the heads up! How is that manual? Easy to follow? Thorough? I've heard that some of the directions aren't that good....didn't know about the Blue Ribbon Manual though.

I think the manual is very good and was glad I had it when I did my 'C'
Goes through testing, troubleshooting, adjustments. parts identification and assembly with pictures.
Dennis

Rick Remmert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The reason I mentioned the dot on the o-rings was the sheet to install the seals says to roll the o-rings on, don't slide them on. If you have never installed o-rings before, this is a big help being able to tell the o-ring is facing out. But yes, you are correct, the dot, color and hardness will tell what material they are made out of. All the o-rings I took out were the standard Buna N. The new ones were Buna N ,Viton and a blue o-ring material that I not figured out yet. Putting the new o-rings on was not a problem as I have messed with them many times before. The hardest one to get on was the single ring that goes on the end of the 2 spool valves. The biggest help to me was getting all the gaskets. That alone was worth the price of the kit.

TWheat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactlly what I did on a FEL (2 way cylinders on lift and dump)on a SA. I capped the top of the added pipe nipple, ( 2" dia X 8"), drilled a hole into the side of the cap, threaded it and put in an extention filled with a material similar to what was used on the vent on the Farmall M hydraulic fill cap. Don't fill it full or it will make a mess seeking its own operating level. Once you get the cylinders full, it doesn't take a lot of additional oil to operate it.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Touch control overhaul Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ordered my TSS bulliten from Binder. Thanks for the tip!

Rick, where did you get you overhaul kiit??

Last edited by RTR on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.