Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil filter canister gasket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John_Mason
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Oil filter canister gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everytime I change the oil on my TO35 I wonder how much oil has leaked all over the ground with this lousy design. I ended up making a self aligning aluminum crush ring. How much oil have you lost? Anyone ever come close to burning up a motor?

Dan S (NY)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter canister gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have the Z134 Continental in your 35?

Years ago when I got my first MF50 with the Z134 engine I bought a triple pack of oil filters online and the seals included where terrible. I could not get the canister to seal against the block, it would blow out when I started the tractor. I now only use the Napa 1010 filter and the included seal is much better and I have never had this problem again and I have six or seven Z134 engines now. So, if you have been using cheap filters, try a better one. Either that or there is a flaw or dent in the mating surfaces of your block or canister.

Dan

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter canister gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buy the napa filter or get one from the dealer.
That heavy metal canister is there to protect the oil filter. Some have bought a kit an changed out the metal canister for a spin on type filter.
But if you ever have your tractor in the brush or woods a stick can be kicked up and knock a hole in the thin skin of the unprotected oil filter.
just be sure you still have the flat washer and spring inside your oil filter canister as the spring holds the filter aganist the block insuring the oil flows through the filter.

s19438
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter canister gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there is a dent where the gasket lays on my 35. two gaskets fixed the problem.

John_Mason
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter canister gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been getting the filter from Steiner or my local tractor parts guy, Baldwin maybe? I have had the gasket seal properly in the past but it tends to be a pain in the butt as there is not much "land". I prefer to keep the tractor all original as much as possible. A screw on filter won't last long in my woods. I'll look at the nappa filter. Thanks.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oil filter canister gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had the gasket split and pump the oil out on 135 with a Perkins. Lucky I saw the oil pressure gauge and shut it off before any damage was done.

37chief
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil filter canister gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stopped to take a leak, looked down at my oil filter to see oil leaking out. Wouldn't have been long before I was out of oil. After that I installed a spin on oil filter adapter. Stan

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.