Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Impossible task?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
37chief
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just started the process of splitting the property Mom left my brother and my self. Now the city wants to see the building permits on the two houses on the place. One built in the 60's no problem. Now the other one built around 1889. Did they ever require building permits back then. I know each state is different. I am in Calif. How can I find something like this? Stan

wolfman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anything before 1935 is "grandfathered in".

wolfman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anything before 1935 is "grandfathered in".

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might tell that since they hold all the records, they should look iot up themselves!

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The house will be listed as part of a property on the Deed. There will be no other documentation. Jim

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is no universal date for "grandfathering". Something that is grandfathered predates whatever is the enacting date of the law covering the issue. What you need to do is research or hire to have researched, when building permits were legislated into effect by the authority having jurisdiction. It looks like in your situation it is the city. Any builder/remodeler has probably already paid to have it researched.

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lord knows, Larry, I know it makes you want to say that, but now ain't the time to say anything that would create any ill will at all. I seriously doubt if any kind of permit was required that long ago, and once the situation is explained to them they should drop it.

ErnieD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you get a certificate of compliance from the building department?

Could the buyers attorney be asking for the permits? Seems to me the building department should have a copy of permits issued.

Old Bob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dont be burning any bridges. You want to act like a choir boy in Sunday School.

Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why do they want to see the permits? Not sure why they would need THAT info. Legal description, proposed use (zoning), survey showing setbacks, etc yes, but building permits? I just don't see any logic in that unless they're hoping the permit and related paperwork will show the setbacks, septic locations, etc.
It would help to know what info they are hoping to find with the permits.

Unlikely a permit was required in 1889. Permits are issued by whatever jurisdiction the houses were built in. Could be city, could be county. Probably the same jurisdiction that you're dealing with.

My BIL bought 7 acres with the idea of splitting it into 3 lots. He had to hire a lawyer and the county made him jump through some hoops but he got it done. You may end up having to hire a lawyer that specializes in real estate issues.
Good luck!
Pops

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pay a Realtor for a sit down meeting, they can tell you what you need and where to find it. It will be the cheapest $100.00 you ever spent.

MSD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes the messengers aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer when you deal with government agencies like that. I would ask to talk to somebody a little higher up the chain and see if you get a different story. I went through the same thing almost every time I wanted to do a project and finally found a lady who was at the top that gave me the right answers without getting jerked around with the lower staff members. Some of them just want o show they have some authority.

320B
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother found alot of information on his place at the local library. The year the original family bought the land, how long it took them to clear the land to start farming it, when they started building the house and when it was completed. He also got a copy of a picture of that family and the house just after completion which I think was the around 1890.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt they had building permits back then as in my area is a county by county requiement and some counies didn't require building permits until the
1980's.Get a real estate lawyer that is familar with
your county to do the work

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Impossible task? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If permits were required back then the city or county should have a copy or record of the permit. I would bet your memory doesn't remember things you did 120 plus years ago.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.