Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall 560 valve adjustment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zjames
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Farmall 560 valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want to adjust the valves in my 560 is there a timing pin that I need to make sure it's at tdc? Tia

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 560 valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Valve Adjust by Jim --- It is simple and fool proof. The process works for all engines with adjustable poppet valves and any number of cylinders. Identifying the valve order is all that is necesary (given in this process for the IH 6 cyl gas).
I do it this way others do a different system. It must be set cold first, so setting it twice (or once) is normal Get the specification.
Set the intake valve on cylinder #1 (Front) when its exhaust valve just starts to open.
Set the exhaust when the intake just closes.
These are the two positions that can be seen at the springs and retainers for each cylinder to be as far away from a lobe on the cam as possible while still knowing where it is.
The order is (front to back EI-IE-EI-IE-EI-IE)
Look at #1 valves, Turn the engine till the Exhaust just starts to begin opening (moves) then adjust the Intake valve. Rotate more until the intake just stops moving after having been open) and adjust the exhaust. Treat every cylinder (pair of valves shown above) the same way, remembering they switch places between cylinders) I put a rag over the ones I have done to keep track of progress, and avoid mixing what I am looking at. Jim

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 560 valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the spec. is .027 hot.
i adjust valves according to the firing order,
1 5 3
6 2 4 and do both valves for that cyl.when on tdc. on compression.
this is the way i was taught in class 36 years ago. but lots more to procedure.

Zjames
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 560 valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the help. I thought of another question related to the topic. How did you go about turning the engine over by hand? I have not worked on a lot of red. I use a special flywheel tool to turn the flywheel ? Thanks

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 560 valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have a crank for that engine, hard to find them.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 560 valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With the plugs out it is usually easy to turn the engine with the fan. Sometimes necessary to push in on the belt while doing so. Another way is to lift one tire and put it in 5th with the TA ahead. That allows easy rotation. Jim

Jim Naden
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 560 valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zjames wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:45:07 01/29/13) I want to adjust the valves in my 560 is there a timing pin that I need to make sure it's at tdc? Tia

Easy way....

(timing marks on front pulley)

With engine turned to #1 TDC adjust valves (numbered front to back) 1,2,3,5,7,9

Turn engine one revolution to #6 TDC and adjust valves 4,6,8,10,11,12

Best results are obtained with engine stabilized at room temperature.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.