Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adjusting 2N Carburetor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Adjusting 2N Carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First how can I tell what carburetor is on my 2N. What are the starting points of adjustment for the idle and high speed mixture screws. What is the proper adjusting procedure. Cleaned my carburetor and put new plugs in due to a non start problem. Now I pretty well need to keep the choke pulled at least part way out to keep the engine running. I let it warm up and tried to idle it down and it kept stalling. Tried searching but was having trouble finding a complete answer.
Thanks,
Bill

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting 2N Carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"need to keep the choke pulled at least part way out to keep the engine running." Before I messed with the carb I would check the quality of spark. When was the last time you serviced the points?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting 2N Carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trouble shoot. #1 check your spark at all 4 plugs. It should be a good blue/white and jump a 1/4 inch gap or more. If you have that then move to the carb. Pull the carb drain plug and let the gas flow for a few minutes. Catch it to look for water/dirt. If you have a good flow then set the main jet at say 1-1/2 turns out form bottom. Also check you air cleaner and make sure it has the correct oil level and is not full of water/dirt

wsmm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting 2N Carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good spark all four wires. Used a plug gaped to 1/4". Problem is with the carburetor screws. I just remember that there was something different about the way they changed the amount of fuel versus an automotive carburetor.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting 2N Carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wsmm wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:52:24 01/30/13) Good spark all four wires. Used a plug gaped to 1/4". Problem is with the carburetor screws. I just remember that there was something different about the way they changed the amount of fuel versus an automotive carburetor.

Idle mixture screw works bass ackwards of most carbs.

TOH

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting 2N Carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most of the time the idle screw which is close to the top you set at 1-1/2 turns out and leave it unless your one who worries about getting that magic 400RPM idle. Idle screw works like this. In for more fuel out for more air which is back wards of the man jet adjustment

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting 2N Carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wsmm........both Ford and M/S say to set BOTH the down-pointing mainjet and the side-pointing idlemix to 1-turn. (you do understand what a turn is, don't you?) Me? I recommend adjusting the down-pointing mainjet to 2-turns and LEAVITT!!!

I then adjust the side-pointing idlemix for FASTEST idle ...NOT... smoothest idle. Understand the difference??? I then adjust the behind the carb idlespeed to under 500-rpms. (probably 1/2-turn) I then re-adjust the side-pointind idlemix for FASTEST idle. I do that at least 3-times.

Last time I adjusted my eazy starting 6-volt 52-8N, the side-pointing idlemix was about 1/8-turn and idle was 435-rpms on new proofmeter. Yours will be different. Remember, the side-pointing idlemix is BASSACKWARDS, out for lean and IN for ENRICH. ........HTH, Dell

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting 2N Carburetor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wsmm wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:12:13 01/31/13) First how can I tell what carburetor is on my 2N. What are the starting points of adjustment for the idle and high speed mixture screws. What is the proper adjusting procedure. Cleaned my carburetor and put new plugs in due to a non start problem. Now I pretty well need to keep the choke pulled at least part way out to keep the engine running. I let it warm up and tried to idle it down and it kept stalling. Tried searching but was having trouble finding a complete answer.
Thanks,
Bill

Adjusting the main jet: I start at 2 1/2 turns open and with the engine warmed up and at full throttle I adjust the main jet in until the engine just begins to lose power and then open the needle until the engine runs smoothly. FO-4 says to start at 1 turn open but that does not work for me at all.

The idle screw is like Dell says.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.