Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help removing power cells

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DUANE 1958
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

any one have any tips on getting the power cell body out of the chamber on a 730? The cap came out easy. The head is still on the block. I-T manual says use case CD512 puller but I dont have one.I would appreciate any help!I had the injectors done. All 4 cylinders have 300# cranking compression,but no.1 misses bad.Thanks Duane

Earlj
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use a rockerarm push rod off a chevy smallblock

Don L.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Having the head on its side,place a ball bearing in the entrance on the power cell. Thru the injector hole, use a long [high quality] straight punch and try to hit down. They can come out VERY hard. Nasty in fact. Not my favorite thing to do. Be carefull the ball doesn't go flying off.
Don L.

d.borcher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've always soake the plug in wd40 oil and cleaned around the powercell then just started the plug in and cranked the tractor over and used the compression to break it loose

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Duane,

Start with a 1 inch bolt , turn the end to
to 7/8 or 15/16 dia depending on which size
your power cell is threaded . 1 inch end becomes
the puller screw. I have 2 one of each size.

happy manufacturing

george

DUANE 1958
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

George,I cant see threads inside the power cell,should there be? Thanks Duane.

DUANE 1958
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea, I'll try it! Duane

DUANE 1958
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don, Thanks if I end up taking head off I'll try yor tip! Thanks, Duane.

DUANE 1958
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Earl, the push rod as a punch is a good idea! Thanks, Duane

fairchm
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is what worked for me:

Worried I might damage the powercell with a steel punch so made one out of a piece of roughly 3/8" solid brass rod. Turned a roughly spherical radius on one end and cut the length of the punch down so it only projected a few inches from the engine block when inserted in the injector hole. (It"ll be prone to buckling if you make it too long).

Oh, and two other tips. The powercell will come out of a hot engine easier than a cold and use kroil (or your favorite penetrating oil).

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Duane,

It is best not to beat on the small end
as it deforms and swells it , that is why there
is a puller. Use a pick with a bend to clean the
threads. I have made several pullers over the
past 25 years , they tend to wander off by them-
selves.

I you need help send me an email.

george

1031D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: help removing power cells Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of the first design power cell bodies are not threaded. My 400 has 2 that way, what a mother to get out too.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.