Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPS

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience with them?? I am thinking about getting the truck version, not so much as I always drive a truck, but it has features that let me map the truck route, which I can then use with the big truck. If that makes any sense!

Ted in NE-OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Garmin car GPS, love it.

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have Garmin GPS tracking collars for my dogs. Love 'em! I would think other GPS units work too.

Larry

Farmer(Ga)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a car garmin and love it, Gets me from A to B every time and they are not pricey. Jame

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Garmin is my go to fishing GPS no maps, just points and point to point nav. But it will figure acres if you drive around an irregular field. I've done dozens for my neighbors.

Patrick Klise
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wonderful products. My wife got one for Chirstmas and loves it. The brand new issue of consumer reports has a report on GPS units that is interesting. Garmin makes scads of units for cars/trucks. Their "real" business is for aircraft usage. My son in law just put one in his Twin Commanche. Ouch $19,000 installed!

old_bc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Garmin is the best.

C.R.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I received a garmin nuvi for christmas a couple of years ago and it works well

Dusty MI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can get them programed for any thing one can want. Shortest route, best route, express way only or not expressway. Low bridges. And many, many others. Just do a search.

I wish on ours I could change the volume like on a radio.

Dusty

Last edited by Dusty MI on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
W_B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ted in NE-OH wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:02:21 01/31/13) I have a Garmin car GPS, love it.

Same here. Have had it for years and like it a lot. Recently got a new one during Black Friday with lifetime map updates. That was cheaper than buying the map updates for the old one.

merlynr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got the wife one for her bday and I was the first one to use it cause my daughter was looking at used cars off of craigslist and we looked at about 5 cars in Stl and just punched in the address and go to the next one. No directions needed with the Garmin. Just punch in "home" when your done.

Revredneck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like the rest who have responded, I have a Garmin, and I'm very happy with it. However, spend the extra money up front to get the lifetime map updates. Mine needs updating, and it's going to cost as much as a new GPS to do it.
Good Luck and God Bless

JF in CT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a bunch of Garmins and I am, for the most part, very happy with them. However, I don't think the updates are all that "up to date" as I think they should be. After 4 or 5 years, with the technology advancing as it usually does, you may want to update "the latest" unit anyway.

Jim

John Garner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Diydave --

Borrowed a Garmin GPS one time, several years ago. It was programmed to say "Recalculating" in an annoyed voice whenever its driving directions weren"t followed to its satisfaction.

The "Recalculating" was funny the first time, and irritating by the third time. By the end of my trip, I swore I"d not buy a Garmin GPS unless it was the very last GPS in the whole world.

Since then, I"ve used a few different Tom-Tom models, which figuratively shrug their shoulders and carry on without mouthing off.

One other note: I"ve found that I prefer the units that don"t change the orientation of the display based on which direction they think is up/down at a given moment.

John

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My son swears by them.

I have been led astray by them enough times that I consider them a good tool for navigating on and off ramps and cloverleafs but I will never go on a trip with a gps unless backed up by maps or at least a good atlas.

Brad

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.