Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Mountain
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am currently working on my 54' Super C Farmall electrical system, and have observed a leak from the upper radiator hose. This hose is a large size, maybe 2.5" or more in diameter and real short. Where might I be able to buy one of these and how do I change it out? Can I flex it enough to get it in that tight space? Or does the radiator have to come out?

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i could do that when i was 12 years old, just by looking at it and coming up with a plan. its just a hose.

steve alderman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just go to napa you can buy it by the foot or less and just cut off what you need and you should be able to it by not taking the raditior off but if the top hose is leeking the bottom is not too far from goiing too

BoonvilleKid
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since your bottom hose is probably close to dying, it will probably save you time, over the long run, to remove the radiator & fan shroud. Not hard to do, just don't loose the cushion pads on the bottom. Might as well put in a new thermostat while you're at it.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove the old hose then you can get the correct size at any car parts place. To install new hose sand the fittings so they are smooth and clean then you can slip the new hose on easier you want it warm. Not a job in the cold. You dont need to remove the radiator.

FBH44
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My steel pipes were rusty and pitted, and i went to O"Reilly"s and got a litle tube of Permatex radiator hose gray sealer, and glooped it on. Nary a leak.

Bill Hires
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Upper hose is 2 3/8" I.D. by 3 3/8" long Lower hose 2" I.D. by 4" long

Don Mountain
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats funny. I think I did replace these hoses when I was 12 years old. This was my father's tractor that I used to plow small fields with when I was a kid. Lets see, that would have been around 1965? But I just needed my mind refreshed for the procedure after all these years from others that are more experienced.

riverbend
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a hard time finding the 2 3/8" hose. I had to go to the dealer...

Greg

brian 1855
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used a plumbing Fernco from my local building or plumbing supply. It was the right diameter and length and comes with hose clamps. They come in standard sizes, I think 2 inch inside was right. Some say they are not rated for that heat, but I've had mine on for a few years with no problems. Brian

LMack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The upper hose is easier to put on, but when one goes the other will follow soon. If you have the correct diameter hose and it is cut the correct length, you can over slip it on one end to get it in line then slip it back in place on the other. Then you can put on the clamps.

brent wortham
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Super C Upper Radiator Hose Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took the radiator out on the 53 or 4 (can't remember) SC. I have to wrestle the top clamp on the top hose off. Put a new on and clamps on.... started leaking under the top neck!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.