Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TO 20 oil pressure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
37chief
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: TO 20 oil pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My TO 20 idles around 15, and motor running at working speed it is 20 lbs. Think the oil pressure is within limits? Thanks Stan

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TO 20 oil pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might try a bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer, that material would help increase the old pressure on my to35 when hot. At the time I was using 10w40 weight oil.

Currently I run shell rotella 15w40 oil. The reason
I changed oil weights: I determined that the shell oil has the additive zinc and the car/truck oils do not have zinc.
The old engines need the zinc additive for long life, plus
with 15w40 the oil pressure stays up in the normal range when the motor is at operating temp at idle.

Bruce(OR)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: TO 20 oil pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I did the wife's TP-20 the OP was around 35 after rebuild hot or cold. I also went down to the hyd shop and picked up two rubber oil pick up line seals for about $3 and replaced those along with rebuilding the oil pump.
I also took the oil gauge down to an instrument repair shop and had it tested for accuracy. It was off by 2 PSI.
The zinc oil additive is wonderful for flat tappet cams. Heavy duty rated oil leaves a film behind that energy conserving oil does not.
Now if your oil pressure on a used motor is 15 at warm idle and 20 under speed, I would suspect it has a good amount of life left in it.

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TO 20 oil pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Specs are 25-30 psig new and lower limit is 15 psig at 400 rpm idle speed and the engine at operating temperature.

You are exhibiting signs of a worn oil pump, and/or stuck open relief valve an/or worn main bearings.
Sounds like you are just barely within limits at idle.

purecty
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: TO 20 oil pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the plug that goers in the motor of the oil gauge line. is it a special plug? mine has a little round hole in it. i bought 2 new ones but neither one looked like the one that came out of it. they were wide open holes. the guy at the tractor repair shop said the open ones wouldnt work,
bill

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: TO 20 oil pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The brass fitting that goes into the block is made for a flared fitting which is what the hard line has on the end of it.

purecty
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: TO 20 oil pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

im just saying that the 2 3/8 sizes i bought are not like the one that came out of the block. the ones i bought was a straight hole through it. the one that came out had like a small hole in it to slow the flow down. thanks
bill

purecty
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: TO 20 oil pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i was just wondering what the difference is?

bobs old iron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: TO 20 oil pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

cheif- i have about the same readings on my to-20, when i was in the parade for over an-hour, running at same speed, except when parade comes to stop, oil pressure would drop a little, also, i have never changed oil since i've owned it for over 5-years.. that's the next thing when weather gets warmer, this year,,lol

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.